Monday, January 05, 2009

New Typical Post (I hope)

Kids:
When my niece Y was here over the holidays, she and J bonded over pretending to be kitties together. This game has now evolved into J basically crawling everywhere (a behavior A loves to mimic) and imploring me to speak to her in "kitty talk." Kitty talk really means you just have to add "meow meow" after everything you say. For example, "Mommy, I'm going to poop in my litterbox now, meow meow." Try it. See, now you've learned a new language!

Food:
I ended up having to work late today, so wonderful Hubs made dinner for us. He specializes in Italian & Buffalo Wings, so let's just say that we didn't eat as cleanly as I would have liked tonight (Hubs was happy, though!). So here's one of my favorite dishes to tide you over until I cook again:

Chopped Salad

For the salad:
1 english cucumber, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
1 bunch radishes, cut into quarters
1 avocado, diced
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 lg red onion, diced

For the dressing:
1/4 cup lime juice
1-1 1/2 tbsp thai fish sauce
1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp mirin
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar or honey
4 tbsp oil (I use canola)
2 tbsp (or to taste) Sriracha or other spicy chile sauce
salt & pepper, to taste

Whisk the ingrediants for the dressing together, chop the veggies & toss. Viola! Instant yummy :)

Workout:
I'm restarting the Chalean Xtreme system I got for X-mas since I ended up doing week 1 over a period of lmost 2 weeks thanks to the holidays (and my laziness ;) So today I did Burn Circuit 1, which is about 40 minutes of heavy lifting. The point is to lift a weight so heavy that you can only do between 10-12 reps before your muscle hits the point of exhaustion (i.e. you not only don't want to another rep, you really physically can't do another rep). I am interested to see what my results will be with this type of training. I did not log my weights today :( but I resolve to do so with the next circuit. Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, but I will probably do some cardio or yoga (depends on how tired I am) since I have taken it really easy the last few weeks and packed on some pounds (I gained almost 5 pounds over the holidays!)

Things I'm Thankful For:
- Parents that live close enough to cook for my children ;)
- Skype so cousins can stay in touch

6 comments:

alexis said...

wow - that salad dressing sounds very delicious!

damn I am so impressed with everyone's devotion new years resolutions, especially the exercise ones. And I definitely am with you on this clean eating thingee though I don't really know what it is except avoid chemical things (except butter spray).

Laura said...

I agree... the dressing sounds awesome, I might just make that and put it on some chicken or something--not that the salad doesn't sound wonderful, but Boris needs his meat ;)

stef said...

I am loving the recipes! Keep them coming.

Susanne said...

I'm grateful for your deployment support meow meow....now if only I had your phone number meow. : )

Susanne said...

never mind meow....I found it : )

Anonymous said...

Meow - Buffalo Wings for Dinner ????? Meow

Great Recipe