Saturday, January 03, 2009

Coyote Cween

My pops has been hiking in the Sandias since, well, probably just after fire was invented (I mean, he is old ;) and he has never seen a coyote except for the first time he took C out hiking with him (and after assuring her he had never seen a coyote yet, lol!). Well, today I took the kids on a nature hike (a walk, to be honest, but C insisted we call it a nature hike since we sere walking the low paths of the foothills*), and we saw another coyote! It wasn't all that close, but I did have all the kids with me and we were kind of spread out since C&J had wandered on ahead and I was meandering with A. Still, it was odd that one would venture down so low in broad daylight on a gorgeous day when there were lots of people present at the trail head. C said it must have come out just for her ;) Kind of crazy, eh?

I tried making this sweet potato-pumpkin soup recipe tonight that I got from a clean eating forum, but it wasn't exactly a hit (I wasn't crazy about it myself and probably won't make it again). So I'll spare you all the recipe for that and post the cookie recipe we made instead ;)

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup Splenda/Sugar baking mix or Stevia
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg white
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix batter well and chill in refridgerator. Once chilled, roll into balls using 2 tsp of batter per cookie and press into small rounds. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

----These are meant to be high protein cheats/snacks, but they are also high in fat. So eat sparingly and only if you are looking to build muscle ;)


*The ones that criss-cross the grassy area before you ever hit the mountains for those of you familiar with my neighborhood

4 comments:

Susanne said...

The entire time I lived there, I never saw one....

What an adventure for the kids....

Probably a little work out for mom's ol' ticker too ; )

Anonymous said...

Coyote Cween it is.

BTW do you think maybe J was working out some sort of arrangement with the coyotes in hopes of their spiriting away A?

(insert ominous music here)

alexis said...

wow this is the sort of thing I am also looking to start - minimize chemicals where I can.

I think C has some coyote in her - that is why she is so mischievious. ;)

Laura said...

I love that you're posting more often now... is this a new trend?