Friday, January 02, 2009

Ba-Nay-Nay

In the spirit of my New Year's resolution to have the family eating better (and the feeling that since I actually have a day off, so I should use my extra time to post something!), here is the "clean eating" banana bread recipe A and I made today (the girls were off at the "cat store" picking up kitty food, which is always a treat since the owners have multiple pets that run free much to J's delight). To be truthful, I don't have any high dieting aspirations, but I have noticed that our house has become increasingly full of processed, whie-flour and sugra-laden foods. I would like us to eat as healthfully as possible with the potential for weight loss as a side benefit :) Anyway, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
3/4 cup wheat flour (sifted)
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
2 slightly beaten egg whites
1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium or 2 large)
1/4 cup non-sweetened applesauce
1/4 cup + 3 tbps Splenda/Sugar baking blend or Stevia
1/4 cup Canola oil

Directions:
Coat an 8×4x2-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Mash bananas and set aside. In a medium bowl combine all-purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl coming egg whites, banana, applesace, sugar, and oil. Once mixed well, add flour mixture all at one time to banana mixture. Stir until moistened. The batter should be lumpy. Spoon mixture into pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. And, viola! Delicious banana bread that your kids do not know is good for them ;)

To be honest, this recipe is adapted from one of Tosca Reno's clean eating recipes from her blog. I believe she has a few cookbooks out as well, but I find google works just as well and doesn't cost me a penny.

ETA: The recipe is actually from JenniferM's blog. Sorry for the mix-up, but please go check out her site if you want more yummy, clean eating recipes!

6 comments:

Susanne said...

Here's to eating healthy this year!!!

Where's that phone call you mentioned ; ) ??

Susanne said...

oh yea...is that your home with the beautiful beams??? Who did those, would you know?

Laura said...

mmm... sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

So how did it go over with everyone?

stef said...

hmmmm. clean living through banana bread. Sounds good to me! I've got a thing about using alternative sweeteners that I need to get over.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pu,

I just wanted to give you a big thanks for the link to my blog, but I'm not Tosca Reno (how I wish!) ;-)

So did you like your adapted version of my recipe? I have to say that it is one of my favorites, especially when I am craving something sweet.

Good luck to you with ChaLean Extreme as well. I just started it yesterday myself. Whatever you do, keep pushing play!