Thursday, May 10, 2007

Boo Work

Back at work *sigh* I thought I'd be a little more excited since I was going out of my mind with boredom at home (but I think most of that was b/c J and I were stuck in the house since I didn't want to risk her starting a pink eye epidemic.) Nope, not excited at all. Now that the ORI is over (well, the inspectors are still on base, but our shop is done with our portion of it), it's kind of like a let down. We've been so frantically busy that it seems really quiet and slow now that all of that fuss is over with. I really shouldn't complain, but having very little to do just makes me want to go home and take a nap rather than sit here at work!

I did have a little *fun* today. I used to do the weekly intel briefing for the Commander's Staff Meetings (these are for a 3-star, 1-star, and more birds than you can count on two hands), but I passed them off to my coworker once I hit the third trimester because you have to get up very early in the morning in order to have everything together in time for the 730 brief. Well, my coworker is TDY to Omaha today (which I had managed to foist off on her due to the fact that I am too preggo to fly, bwa ha ha ha!), so I had to suck it up and attempt to get my frazzled baby brain together and give a coherent brief. All was going well until the very last sentance of my last slide. You know, the one where you tie it all together and give the big impact point. At this crucial moment my brain decided it had done enough work for one day and promptly shut down. Not only did I completely forget what I had planned to say, I also completely forgot the topic I was speaking about. I believe I stammered out something that may have remotely resembled the English language, but I really can't remember since it has now been nearly an hour since, which is plenty of time to have totally forgotten the entire incident in the first place.

TV Land

Okay, seriously, folks, I don't think I can take much more of Lost. What the hell is going on!!?? I need some answers here, people. I think this is worse than when I got sucked into Twin Peaks. I followed that show from beginning to bizarre drug-induced midget hallucination middle to horribly unsatisfying end. And I made a promise to myself that I would never again be taken in by the latest trippy, quasi-intellectual, ooooh how deep can it be? analogy-heavy hit show. I was not going to be left without payoff again. Um, yeah, so we see how long that promise lasted. Damn you, Lost. Damn you all to hell!

Also, the Sabres lost to Ottawa in game 1 of the Eastern Conf Finals :( Boo! For those of you non-hockey fans, Buf and Ott are not only division rivals, they have also had the most spectacular brawls in NHL history! The last time they met, the entire team got into a huge brawl, which included the goalies fighting each other and the coaches coming close to blows themselves! This should be a great series!!

Oh, and isn't this a great season for Survivor? I really thought it was going to suck because there were a lot of dumbasses this year, but things have really turned around over last few weeks. (Go Yau-man!)

Pu's Social Commentary

Don't ask me why I'm so interested in the concept of assisted fertility. Maybe it is because I was once an egg donor myself, but I find the endless debate over using various types of technology to help people conceive fascinating. If you want my personal opinion (of course you do, after all, you're reading my blog!), I really don't like the idea of any governmental interference into people's right to decide what to do with their bodies. I may not personally approve of someone waiting until they're past 40 to start having children, it's also none of my goddamn business what other people decide is right for them. I was listening to my local NPR (KPCC in LA!), and our version of Air Talk aired a great interview with the author of this book, which I found really fascinating. What do you all think about this topic?

Pu's Preggo Commentary

I realize people are just trying to be sympathetic, but is it really necessary for everyone (and I mean everyone from the secretary in my office to the random people I pass on the street) to make some kind of comment about how close I am to having the baby. Do they think that I am somehow not aware of this? Like I'm going to look down at my stomach and say, holy shit! Is that why I've gotten so fat!? I swear, if one more person says, oh you're going to pop any day now (like I am a balloon!) I am going to pop them! If one more person asks me how much longer til the baby comes, I am going to reply that the last time I tried to open up my uterus and ask, the baby didn't respond because it can't freakin' talk yet, so just fuck off! (Ahem, sorry about that, can you tell I'm a little testy today?) Next ultrasound is on Monday; is it terrible of me to hope that the Dr suggests induction at that point?? (still haven't gained any more weight, and I lost a pound at Wed's Dr appt :(

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in the Pulisha libertarian camp. People should be able to do what they want with their bodies as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and they accept the consequences.

Re: comments on preggo comments - This is a perfect example of why God developed lust. Otherwise the race would never reproduce.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Wow, what an entry! A little something for everyone. Me likes the brawl link in particular!!

stef said...

Oooh what a long and delicious post. Hope the ultrasound goes well and that no matter what happens both you and baby are healthy and well! Hang in there

Laura said...

Wow Nikki, based on the tone of your post, I'd say you're about to pop! (ha ha ha... sorry, couldn't resist)

I look forward to reading the post where you talk about going off on someone for commenting on the state of your pregnancy. Hang in there!

Susanne said...

hmmmm......

I'm just so totally on the fence with fertility treatments.

On one hand I think natural selection is a reality and things get messed up when it's tampered with too much....

On the other hand I think about the meth mommies who could careless about their babies vs the responsible couple who just wants a family so bad.

*sigh*

alexis said...

having good friends who've had trouble in the baby-making area, I fully support the treatments and that the gvt can go to hell on making rules about this area, provided people are accountable for their decisions.

Anonymous said...

I'm completely with Pulisha - people should be able to do what they want. However, I do think the government should require more research and disclosure on the effects of fertility drugs. People can make informed decisions, but only if they have the information.