Saturday, April 07, 2007

Warrior Moms are Cool

Okay, so I know I said I was going to skip Caitlyn's presentation this week, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. If people at work are resentful that I took a lot of time off of work this week, they'll have to live (I mentioned to Caitlyn that I might not be able to make it and she got really upset, so I figured it was better to disappoint my coworkers than my daughter!). I got there a few minutes early and Caitlyn was visiting with the school counselor (she meets with her regularly), so I ended up hanging out with her classmates for a bit. And I was quite the hit, if I say so myself ;) I went straight from work so, of course, I was in uniform, which the kids totally freaked out about. LA is not exactly a military town. In fact, most people here have no idea there is even a base anywhere in the city. So I wasn't surprised by the reaction I got. So while we were waiting for Caitlyn to get back, her teacher let the kids ask me some questions about my job...

"Are you in the Army?"
"Have you ever driven a plane?"
"Have you ever killed anyone?"
"Do you get to carry a gun?"
"Do you get scared at your work?"

It was pretty funny, cute, and a little disturbing at the same time (one little boy asked me, "Isn't there a war going on?" and a lot of the kids seemed confused by this. I guess their parents don't talk to them about it at home very much.)

Anyway, Caitlyn got back and did her presentation (I think I was more of a hinderance than a help, since she got stage fright and didn't want to do it in front of me), and it was really cute. The best part is when the kids left for recess, and I overheard one of the little boys in her class tell her that her mom was cool. Yeah, that's right. I am a cool mom. Okay, so its mostly the uniform, but I'll take what I can get!

5 comments:

alexis said...

wow, you're such a great mom! Give work the bird and be there for your daughter! :)

BTW, when the hell are you getting on Skype? :(

Susanne said...

That's one reason I hate the military. They always preach "family" but never stand behind it.

Anyway, you ARE a cool mom :)

stef said...

I agree. You are definitely a cool mom. just think of what ideas you've given all those little kids...just by being you!

Anonymous said...

Yes you are indeed cool. Have Tim take a picture of you in your work uniform so you can post it and show everyone what they need to wear to achieve real cooldom.

Anonymous said...

I hope the kids don't decide to join the AF after making it sooooo cool... I love you cool-girl :)