Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ode to a Sweet Potato

Oh, sweet potato, how I love thee*
You are so bright, so delicious, so yummy

I can make you in so many ways,
Baked, mashed, fried or stewed
I can't believe there once were days
I thought you only holiday food

I bought you at the farmers market
(hooray for fresh and local!)
I wish your skin wasn't like carpet
'Cause through my skin I pokeled(?)

Okay, so I'm not much for rhyming, but I do enjoy mah sweet potatoes! Seriously, these are one of the best superfoods out there, rich in fiber and vitamins C & A, among others (wiki it, haters). Plus, they're really not all that sweet (especially if you don't make them with marshmallows and brown sugar!). Here's a recipe I made for dinner tonight (along with some delicious NY Strip Steaks*** and fresh asparagus over the fire, also from our local farmers market****):


Spicy Sweet Potato Fries

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces of relatively the same thickness**
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic power
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste


Whisk oil & spices in a large bowl until well mixed. Add potato pieces and mix with your hands until each piece is coasted equally. Spread potatoes on a baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes (turning them after ten minutes). You can also stick them under the broiler for a minute or two if you want them extra crispy.


In other news, here's some pics of the new house with our own personal touches:










*thou, thouest, thine...whatever
**I totally suck at this, but it actually doesn't turn out too bad b/c some fries are crispier than others, so there is a nice variety
***Which we got from the butcher, who is literally down the street from our house & teeming with resh, local seafood, too!
****I got a hankerin' for these after reading my dear cuzins blog post. Thanks, RM!


6 comments:

Susanne said...

Your home is beautiful!!!!

I'm so sad my visit was thwarted by nature LOL.....

Greg loves sweet potato fries...i'll have to try these for him!!

Laura said...

Mmmm... sweet potatoes :) I just found that Ore Ida has these steam and mash sweet potatoes, which is awesome because it has all the goodness of fresh potatoes without all the work of peeling them!

The house looks awesome! After our snowstorm this week it makes me wish I was there with you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we could share the joy of asparagus over the 'net. And I second the nomination of sweet potatoes as a wonderfood. When I can't manage to pack him a proper lunch, Andrew's backup lunch is a big sweet potato, which he microwaves and tops with a bit of butter.

stef said...

sweet potato for lunch is a great idea. I can't believe you are grilling already. le sigh

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Awesome house! And I LOVE sweet potato anything.....I'm going to have to try that recipe.

Dad said...

Just make sure you get real sweet potatoes and not yams as there is a big, big nutritional difference.

I might even have to visit after all with all that yummy food to cook.