Sunday, March 01, 2009

Life's Little Bits

Gah, too distraught about the Hosea win to blog anything about Top Chef. I think this has been the worst season yet. Carla was the only one to root for, but I could have dealt with a Stefan win since at least he was talented (as evidenced my his many, many wins). Hosea only won by default since the other two screwed up (oh, Carla, why on earth would you listen to Casey of all people? She done fucked up her own chance, why did you let her bring you down, whhhhy!!??) Plus it seemed really obvious to me that Tom did not like Stefan and this may have had some influence on how they picked the winner, which is pretty crappy IMHO. Stefan might be pretentious, obnoxious, and full of himself, but Hosea is all those things too, plus a kiss-ass...oh yeah, and he cheated on his girlfriend on national television, which makes him a tool & a douchebag on top of all that. What a very dissatisfying season!

For those of you I haven't gotten a chance to call yet, I'll have a few days off this week so I promise I'll try and catch up wtih everyone to give you all the specifics on the upcoming move. I don't think I've posted a recipe for a while, so here's what I made for dinner tonight (with fair warning that this is one of my favorite meals to make and also is not all that clean...lots of yummy carbs & fat!). I love this recipe because I can add whatever protein I want since just about everything tastes good in the sauce. Tonight, for example, I used leftover sausage and chicken breast.

Pasta w/Tomato Cream Sauce

1 pkg pasta of your choice
6-7 roma tomatoes, seeded & diced
2 tsp garlic
1 tsp olive oil
1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream or half & half
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a pan and saute tomatoes & garlic until softened (about 5min). Add cream & heat until the sauce starts to reduce slightly, then add the cheese and cook for another minute or so...just until the sauce thickens. If you choose to add a protein, do so before you add the cheese to thicken the sauce.

Kids:
J is gets more and more amusing as she gets older and tries to explain the world in her own words. Today she was playing with her Thomas the Train pretend laptop (a gift from Grandma), so she told me, "I am the mommy because mommies use computers." Hubs replied, "Well, what about daddies." To which she replied, "No, daddies just sit there." Hah!

I am getting a little worried about A. He is already 20 months, but he still isn't talking...at all. I mean he says "mama" and "dada" every once in a blue moon, but that's about it. I seem to remember the girls talking much earlier than this. He seems to understand everything I'm saying. He follows simple directions, and he definately known what "no" means, lol! Am I overreacting here or do you think it's unusual that he's not talking yet?

Workout:
So, I've been keeping steady with my current workout schedule and working on cutting down my portion size and that seems to be working out quite well. I am just one pound shy of my goal weight now, and I am feeling happy with my workouts. I am still using Tracy Anderson (her Mat and Post-Preg workouts) and doing 2 days of high intensity interval training (HIIT) per week (usually P90X Intervals 1x and another interval workout on the other day). I also have added in some Squeeze (I have Squeeze and Squeeze Stronger) and I am loving(!!) Kelly Coffey-Meyer's new 30 Minutes to Fitness series (I have her Bootcamp and Kickbox workouts). I cannot recommend these workouts enough. They are fun, versatile (there are two-30min workouts and an option to combine the two for 1 hour-long workout), and easy to modify (you can go high or low), plus I just love Kelly's personality & music choice (which is essential for whether or not I like a workout). Here's a typical workout week for me right now:

Feb 22 - Squeeze Stronger (70min)
Feb 23 - rest
Feb 24 - KCM Bootcamp (55min)
Feb 25 - TA Mat Workout (60min)
Feb 26 - Turbo Jam Fat Blaster + CLX Intervals (45min)
Feb 27 - KCM Kickbox (55min)
Feb 28 - Cathe Friedrich DrillMax (75min)
Mar 1 - P90M Cardio Intervals + 20 Sara Ivanhoe Yoga (75min)

Things I'm Thankful For:
- Bear Naked granola - This stuff is freaking amazing. In case you didn't know, most granola is actually chock full of sugar and not very good for you. If you look on a box of even Kashi granola, it lists sgars as high as 16-19g! Bear naked granola has just 5g of sugar and it s really, really yummy! I use it on my yogurt all the time.
- DVRs - C can't wait to show her grandparents her tv triumph (they have been on a European jaunt and thus missed the original presentation)

7 comments:

Susanne said...

Naked Granola & Tracy Anderson aren't they the BEST?? : D

Is A pointing?? If he's pointing, turning to your voice and communicating in his own way, I wouldn't be too concerned.

It's also quite possible that he just doesn't want to compete : D or just has a more reserved personality.

Anyway, it really isn't all that uncommon, so don't worry.

One of my really close girl friend's daughter didn't start speaking more than one or two words until she was almost 2.5.....(she's a few months older than C) so I've heard/read and talked quite a bit on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I pooped out on you last night and ended up making you cook :(

Bernice said...

I think this answer is great about when kids start talking.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060623004308AAjsl3N

Great news about the move. I'm thrilled for you.

stef said...

Wow, I'm so glad you posted this! One of my very good friends son is 19 months and also doesn't talk very much yet. So maybe they are just the late bloomers.

stef said...

From my friend:

Hello!

We have spoken to our pediatrician about it and he doesn't think there is a problem (with T's particular situation). That said, I looked on the internet about it. From what I have gathered, if the child does not respond to simple questions, commands, etc. and/or does not use any form of communication then the parent should have the child tested. We have decided to wait on testing T because he does communicate (by signing and babbling), he understands everything we say, he points things out in books and follows simple commands.

It really depends on what your nephew is doing. Is he communicating at all? At that point, its up to your sister on how she wants to handle it (obviously). If she is concerned she can look into having him tested.

Hope that helps!

If you decide you want to have him tested- you should do some searching and see if the state (FL) will test for free. IL does.

alexis said...

wow, I am glad everything has been going so well!

stef said...

more from the other half of the friend couple:

Stef. I'd thought I'd add a few more thoughts. During our research we found a few sites that said that toddlers who are developing normal in every way other than the expected 4-6 words by 18 months, often develop the ability to form sentences faster than kids who started using single words early on. Is this true? I guess we'll find out. If it makes you feel better, (Wife)'s dad fit this bill to the tee. He didn't start to really talk until he was two, but once he started it was really developed. His siblings started to use words earlier than him, but they had a harder time developing sentences. Plus all kids are different. (Other kid we know) started to talk really early on, but was the complete opposite on walking. Have a pleasant day.