Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Seriously Christmasy Up in This Bitch

Holiday Crap

So, post Turkey Day we did what has become the annual tradition in the Pu-R household (heretofor known as the Pur household), we decorated the house for Christmas. This is a 4-5 hour process that involved much cursing, spreading of dust and a wide variety of cleaning efforts afterwards. If you are picturing a loving family carefully placing their family heirloom ornaments on the tree in harmony, you are sadly mistaken. In the Pur household, we just get the shit out of the way. I promise I'll post some pics tonight when I get home, but you trust me when I say it is seriously Christmasy up in this bitch (as Hubs commented). C & I were allowed to take out the Menorah this year. My Catholic-rasied Hubs eyeballed it warily, but did not protest (much) when I gave it the coveted spot on the Tibetan piece in the LR (probably b/c it blends in with all the other shit we have up there). Hopefully we'll remember to actually light the candles this year since J has passed the stage of wanting to eat them. Also, when the hell did they start playing Chritmas music before Thanksgiving? I though that was the one prerequisite to the start of the retail holiday season, but evidently that hard and fast rule has gone out the window, too!
Gettin' Serious For a Minute

I really wanted to say thanks to everyone who commented on my pity party about separating from the military. It really is a big deal to me, and your comments were most appreciated. I came across this quote while doing research for an unrelated project, but I thought I would share it with you anyway!
"It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself." ~Joyce Maynard
More Random Pu for You
As some of you may know, one of my most favoritist books of all time is Edith Wharton's House of Mirth, so I was excited to come across this article. Having never taken college English (My AP scores were high enough that I didn't have to, tee hee), I guess I never realized there was any controversy over it. I always thought it was pretty evident that Lily had commited suicide. How anyone could think that EW had written the meaning vaguely is beyond me. I thought she made it pretty clear that Lily had fallen so far that there was no other way for her. So now I'm curious to hear what other people think. So share, dammit! ;)
Also, I must comment that I seriously hate SIPRnet. Seriously. Hate it. Not as much as DTS, but hate it none the less...that is all

4 comments:

alexis said...

it's ok, you're making up for my total lack of x-mas decoration.

Laura said...

We have two menorahs in our house (we had to get a second one last year while we were living in billeting and all our stuff was in storage) and I've tried to buy some other Hanukkah decorations for the house as well. I personally love having the mix of traditions and decorations in the house--in fact, I think I'm probably more enthusiastic about putting up Hanukkah stuff than Boris is!

Okay, so now House of Mirth is next on my reading list... check back for my comment in about a month :)

stef said...

This is our first year decorating the house for the holidays. I can't wait! Definitely get those pics up when you get a minute.

Susanne said...

I really love that quote!!

We've decided to only put up a small 2 ft tree on a table....so it doesn't get pulled down and rip to shreds by our little hurricane.