Monday, November 26, 2007

Gobble, Gobble

I know, I know, I've been completely remiss in my posting duties lately. I am uber-busy with work and homelife, so I appologize, but you're all going to have to be patient with me. Thanksgiving was a nice, small affair with just immediate family and the plumber who can to fix our drain ($200!!). Hopefully the landlord won't give us a hard time about reimbursing us for the bill. Things are seriously in the works as far as career moves go, but I am loathe to say anythng until I have absolute confirmation as to what we are doing. I don't want to mislead anyone (including myself!) until I know for sure that all the little bumps in the road have been dealt with, but my separation paperwork is currently making its way through the various rounds of signatures it needs before I can send it over to the MPF for processing. If all goes well, I should be released from active duty as early as sometime in January.

This is a difficult move for me, in spite of the fact that I'm doing it to avoid being deployed to a war zone with three children at home. I have been the military for all of my adult life. It is more than a job to me. It has become a way of life and a part of my identity. It may sounds strange, but if I was asked to describe myself, I would say that I am a woman, a mother and a wife, and a military officer. It's going to be very hard for me to adjust to the thought of just being an ordinary citizen. The decision to separate was not difficult, given the circumstances, but I am terrified in some ways of no longer having that security blanket. Plus, I don't know shit about health insurance.

6 comments:

Susanne said...

I totally relate as far as career being a part of your identity.

I know I'll be doing therapy again some day, but it does feel like a big part of me has just sort of floated away and some days I have to spend a large part of my day reminding myself why I made the choices I did.

I think people don't give women enough credit for putting their families first. I certainly think you'll be doing your children a huge life favor by being a part of their lives rather than being deployed. Even if people have negative things to say about you giving up a part of who you are.

Anyway, you're a brilliant, personable, hardworking woman. You won't have anything to worry about :) Trust me :)

alexis said...

wow dear, the big step finally coming! It's going to be a huge change. Your family was there to see how much the military has been a part of your life, in so many ways. It's good to go while the memories are good however, and not after something that could turn you against what has been a very positive career for you overall.

And I bet you will earn hand over fists cash in the private sector.

stef said...

i think hitting your 30s has a lot to do with this. Your priorities shift and some things become more important and others become less. Although you will no longer be active with the military, that part of you will always be there. On your resume and in your memories. Now it is on to new adventures. You are more than ready to leave the "safety net" and who knows what accomplishments are in your future? This is a huge change in your life. You are making a decision that does close off maybe some paths you thought your future might take, and it only makes sense that it is tinged with a little sadness. Even if you are confident in the direction you are taking.

Laura said...

Wow, I can't believe you're going to be getting out before me! Back when we were in ROTC I would have predicted that you would be the most likely to stay in for 20. Anyway, I completely sympathize with your reason for getting out (since I'm getting out for pretty much the same reason), but it is hard to walk away from what really is a whole lifestyle. I'm lucky that I'll still be a dependent, but if I didn't have that I would feel totally lost. You're going to do wonderful in the civilian world though! And although the whole health insurance seems scary--at least you'll never have to worry about any sketchy military doctors again!!

Anonymous said...

Mighty Pu - you have been through a lot tougher things in your life than going civilian (remember coming to Mom and I that dark time in the apartment?). You are absolutely doing the right thing and will find even better opportunities for you and your family in the future.

BTW, nobody understands health insurance.

Pulisha said...

Thanks, everybody! I know I'm doing the right thing, but I'm still a wus! ;)