Monday, June 02, 2008

Yet Another Weekend Round-Up (+ Monday)

Well, at least you're getting posts once a week, right? :) This weekend was crazy busy. C had her first swim meet, which was marked by her absolute refusal to jump in the water for her first race (cold feet, which wouldn;t have been so bad except she was part of a relay team). Her coach eventually got her to get in the water (he threatened to toss her in!) and she swam all her other events with no problem. Meets start at 7am (!) and can go as late as 12 or 1pm, so this took up most of our day. Also, they are not nearly as fun as I remember them to be. Perhaps it is the fact of being the parent rather than being the swimmer, as C seemed to have a total blast. Then we went grocery shopping, came home and put everything away and promptly collapsed and took naps (hee!). After that we walked over to Mom and Dad's and had caperinas (sp?) and hung out for a few hours before it was time to walk home and have dinner. On Sunday we played outside all day and then Mom and Dad came over for a small birthday celebration for A (after seeing me make A's cake in the morning, J could not stop asking me, 'Eat happy birfday cake?' with that hopeul look in her eyes every time she passed the kitchen counter). A was so hilarious. At first he didn't seem to understand that the cake was food and was just content to squish it up between his fingers. Then he accidently got a taste when he stuck his hand in his mouth and you could just see the light go on in his head, as he went to town on that cake! (pics coming soon, I promise)

Today I worked all day (of course) and I also had my first soccer game of the season (yay) and I also didn't totally suck! (double yay) I had to leave a bit early to take C to swim practice, so I had both the girls with me at the game. I actually tackled this other girl and kicked the ball away from her and all I hear is, "Go, Mommy!" from the sidelines. :) I was kind of worried that this decision to play soccer was not going to have been one of my better ideas since it has been over 15 years since I played competetive soccer, but it turned out to be a lot of fun, and I felt like I was as good as most of the girls on my team and it was good for my kids to see me out there being active and being competetive. When I was driving C to swim practice I asked her what she thought of my performance and she said, "You really stink, Mom." I was a little offened since I didn't think I was that bad. "No, Mom," she said, "I mean, you really, really stink. Can we open a window?" Hee!

Also, apparently there were over 10,000 phone calls made in NM this weekend to police to report a UFO sighting...it was a hot air balloon (Hubs and I actually saw it on Sunday afternoon). Go rural New Mexicans! (In case you weren't aware, NM is like the hot air balloon capitol of the world so this really speaks to the level of dumbass-ness that abounds)

8 comments:

alexis said...

wow, you are playing soccer again, that is so great!! And it sounds like you are having a blast. I did drunkenly promise to start going to the gym with a friend last night, but that's as close as I'm getting to team sports

stef said...

hee hee hee. You have to get hubs to take some pics of your prowess on the field.
I was telling the rents, when I finally went through the boxes I had left at their house from MD, one of them was covered in swim meet ribbons. Almost all of them were "participation" ribbons or like 10th place. Why on earth did I keep all of them? Lord knows. but prepare yourself i guess is what i'm saying.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good for you getting out for some Pu time!! Sounds like fun and it's a good example to set. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Hah! That last story makes me miss New Mexico...

Unknown said...

Wow, I can't believe A is a year old already! Didn't you just have him like a couple months ago? Also, kudos on the soccer thing! Go mommy!

I too collected a lot of participation ribbons from my time on the swim team. I could never understand why I didn't get one of the bigger, fancier ribbons or a trophy or something, but apparently (the way my mom tells it) I didn't even really try to swim very fast and I distinctly remember spending a lot time in the shower staying warm when we were supposed to be swimming laps at practice so that might have something to do with it too :)

Anonymous said...

See, I really am a successful maniacally fanatical soccer coach parent. After all these years of trying to inoculate yourself against the contagion (I don't like to get sweaty Dad!) and you still have the irreversible infection. I might actually have to go to one of your games. I promise I won't yell. I don't want you having horrid flashbacks when you're on the field.

I wish we had movie of A. It was like watching one of these animals that injects venom to pre-digest its food before eating it.

Susanne said...

HAPPY B-DAY A!!!!

Wow times flies....

Maybe we should just keep playing pregnant tag....you're it!!

; ) hee hee

Anonymous said...

Susanne-
I think playing pregnant tag is a horrible idea. However, I like your political post this morning!!

tim