Monday, May 26, 2008

Holiday Weekend Update (sort of)

Sorry for not posting much recently. Besides regular life stuff I have been going through a bit of a dark period, wrestling with different problems that are ongoing in my life. Since my dad has come back from surgery (in case you didn't know, you can learn all about that adventure here), he has helped me see that I need to get back to taking a much more zen approach to life. You have to accept that you cannot change the way things are and to dwell on negative things is to give them more energy. I have to learn to recognize that I am doing what I think is best for my children and my family and just put all other thoughts to rest.

Anyway, on a more positive note, the concert on Tuesday was a lot of fun, my reserve stuff is finally figured out (and I'll be headed up there on June 6th!) , and we had a wonderful Memorial Day cookout with the de-I's. So here are some pics from that and a zoo trip I took with the kids and my moms that I forgot to post earlier (sorry!):












6 comments:

Susanne said...

Nikki,

For starters, you look beautiful!! So does you family.

Your dad is absolutely right. Dwelling on things only feeds it and encourages those thoughts/things to persist. Give energy to the things in your life you want to grow in beauty not the things or people that don't encourage your spirit.

Thinking about, being upset about, or continually complaining about things changes nothing.

You absolutely ARE making the right choices for YOU and YOUR FAMILY, which is what's important. Don't let the IFs, COULD ofs, and USED tos hold you back from growing right now.

And just remember that "having it all doesn't necessarily mean having it all at once!!" Who ever gave women the notion that they could *have it all* clearly was either 1) with out child 2) a man or 3) both.

Ok, so I really should have just e-mailed you :) I guess this post just really resonated with me. I hope you find some peace amongst the chaos :)

P.S. You were SO right that having TWO is a WHOLE new game! Please pass the vodka ;)

stef said...

You look amazing. and brown. damn you NMers and your sunshine! i can't believe how big A is. Susanne is so right. But is one thing to listen to what people say and understand it logically and another to take it to the core of your being every day. So keep working on it! :) and remember you have all of us out here loving and supporting you and your family. :)

Anonymous said...

Yup - pile on with Susanne and Stef - you're doing the best you can and you are working always proactively to do better for you and the ones you care for.

Laura said...

Wow, you are tan! And Alex is so blonde :) I look forward to meeting him someday soon hopefully! Anyway, keep your chin up, there's a light at the end of every tunnel. Or to quote one of my favorite movies, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

alexis said...

wow, susanne you are a wise, wise woman!

one more vote behind you:

- looking fantastic
- family looking equally good
- we all love and support you
- it's true, we can't have it all

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

SOMEBODY had to tell de-I no socks with sandals!! Ugh!!

Similarly to not dwelling on things, I tend to not worry about things. Change what you can. Don't worry about things you can't change, because you can't do anything about them anyway.

Makes life much easier....mostly because you realize how little control you have!! Ha!