Sunday, January 27, 2008

Big Brother is Watching

In my line of work, I always assume people are monitoring me, but I think the general public should stop getting their panties in a bunch. Do you realize how many people use text messaging to communicate? Now how many people do you actually think are out there who can actually gather and exploit those signals? And really, does anyone care if you're texting your Hubs to pick up dinner? People are so damn paranoid. No one cares! The people who have those capabilities are not interested in what you and your friends did last night. What do you all think?


We are still in the process of taking over Casa De-I. We've already taken over the tv. Poor Mums, I think if she hears the intro to Blue's Clue's one more time, she might go postal. We did finally find a house and have a move-in date set for Feb 10, yay! The house is a four bedroom, so we'll finally have some space. The kids will have their own bathroom (double yay!), and it has a very nice sized, provate backyard with a play area and a decent size pool (is triple yay pushing it a little too far?). It is also about 3 blocks from C's new school (we made sure to be in the best school district, so she is going to public school), unfortunately one of the blocks crosses a major street, so we can't let her walk on her own. Also, the school day is a little funky here. It starts at 9 and ends at 3:30. The YMCA offers before and after care for a mere $64/week (and, if you could tell, I'm being sarcastic there). $64 a week! That's more than I was paying in LA for her. So all the money I'm saving on daycare for the other two is now going to go to daycare for C. *sigh* Oh, and still no sign of child support (I filed in November when I dropped my paperwork to get out). On the great news side, Hubs found a job! It's a small star-up company with lots of potential for growth, so we're excited about where the future will take us :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a terrific house! Congratulations.

Laura said...

Yeah, congrats on the great house! I'm sure you're anxious for the move in date to get here. Can't wait to see pictures!

As for the text messaging thing... the only time I think you really need to worry is when you're doing something you shouldn't on company/government owned property. In the case of that mayor he was texting on his work phone. You have to be an idiot to think that your work email won't be read by someone so the same should probably apply to any discussions or texts that happen on your work phone. The problem here is a man on a power trip who can't keep it in his pants and thinks he can get away with anything.

Susanne said...

getting a regular helping of all things "hacker," from my brother, I'd totally agree with you that no one 'really' gives a shit about who you're f-ing (or any other personal messages your sending)

........unless you're rich and or famous, of course.

People should be MUCH more concerned with their financial information rather than their personal information.

People who take the time to access networks are looking for passwords, ssn and bank account numbers...

and believe me, they aren't sitting at a computer screen reading personal e-mails/text messages to find these things......what ever.

ANYWAY...where in ABQ are you going to be living?? It probably didn't exist when I lived there....since it's expanded so much.....but I'm curious to know.

alexis said...

I firmly believe in safety in numbers, which is why I am not too concerned with keeping a blog. Let's not fool ourselves about how interesting our lives may be to other people.

And yes, where is the house?? Last I heard from mom and dad you were looking in the mountains. how quickly you've settled!

stef said...

SO thrilling. All of the news. It didn't take you long!. i think the big brother thing for me is more the potential about what could be done with that information. sure no ones watching that information NOW, but it is being collected somewhere and what if you inadvertenly contributed to a charity that then turned out to have links to terrorist organizations (as happened to several people in the early days following 9/11) Then all they have to do is access all that communication and intrepet it any way they see fit.

Anonymous said...

If people were really concerned about their privacy, they would stay away from any use of personal financial information over the airways such as public wi-fi and cell phones.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

After school at the Y? I was a day camp counselor for the Y for two summers. Yep, the RE-HIRED me. Not saying, just saying.