Monday, March 12, 2007

Pulisha: Movie Critic

Okay, brace yourselves...I actually left the house for the second weekend in a row without my kids! That's right, I went to see a real movie in a real movie theater with absolutely no children (okay, no children that belonged to me, I will not comment on the multitude of people who apparently think it is okay to bring their very young children to a rated R movie full of sex and violence, or maybe I just did). Hubs and I went to see The 300 this weekend (along with everyone else in the world according to the amount of money it made at the box office). Considering this was the first time I'd gone to see a movie in a theater since we took the kids to see Monster House last summer (most bizarre kids cartoon movie ever!), you'd think I'd be thrilled just to get my paws on some fake buttered popcorn (I wuz). But, ever the critic, I couldn't be satisfied with stuffing my face with popcorn and flavored oil. I honestly don't know how this movie made as much money over the weekend as it did. It must be from the lack of any other interesting movies on the cinematic landscape (post-Oscar season is notorious for its crappy movie releases), because it certainly wasn't from anything the movie itself had to offer. Or maybe I'm being overly critical. After all, the Hubs loved the movie (but I think he may have been biased by the fact that we were watching it at an actual theater that was located nowhere near our living room and that no children who came from any part of our DNA were located within a 10 mile radius). Personally, I thought it was lacking in any real storyline, there was nothing to tie you emotionally to any of the characters, and all it really had to offer was 2 hours of non-stop blood and gore (lots of blood and gore! Blood and gore in slo-mo, at wierd camera angles, etc.). Oh, and nipplage, lots and lots of nipplage. So, clearly, this is a man's movie ;)

Pu's Critique: Too much blood, too much gore, too many nipples.

7 comments:

alexis said...

That's interesting, another friend of mine also found a lot of people taking their kids to this movie. But she also said there were lots of naked-man torsos in there, which would make it a lady's and a man's movie.

Laura said...

Yeah, Boris wants to see it, but it just doesn't seem like my kind of thing so he suggested we both go to the theater at the same time and see different movies--what a romantic!

Pulisha said...

Yeah, I thought it was really wierd how many young kids were in the theater. I think that says a lot about what we find acceptable as a society. Maybe I am a prude because I found that level of casual violence pretty disturbing and it is definately not something I would feel comfortable letting my kids watch.

Also, while there were many fine six packs available for viewing, they did not nearly make up for the fact that the rest of the movie flat out sucked.

Pulisha said...

Laura - It might not be a bad idea! At least bring some good chocolate so you get some kind of satisfaction out of it ;)

Anonymous said...

And I'll bet the historical accuracy was minimal. Never read anything about the Persians being into piercings for gods sake! Just look at some carvings from their cities.

Susanne said...

*sigh*

I honestly don't remember the last time Greg and I went to a theater.

But yea, I keep hearing about his movie.....

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

C'mon! Never too much gore and nipples. Here's the Wiki entry for the real battle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae