Monday, March 05, 2007

Gettin' Our Culture On

So after much whining about how my lil' sis always seems to be doing cool cultural things, we finally broke down and admitted we now live in LA and not bum f*ck Japan and can actually go out and experience American culture at its finest (instead of sitting on our couch watching American Idol and America's Next Top Model *sob* I admit it, I have a problem). For our first foray outside the home this year, we chose to go to Jim Hensen's Puppet Up!, a puppet improv show that is definately not for children or people who offend easily! (We figured if we couldn't make it to Chicago to see Harvey Finklestein, this was the next best thing!) As with any improv show a lot of the jokes were hit or miss, but it was actually really cool to see how they do all that stuff you see on tv (also there was a disclaimer that they were filming for a DVD that night, so if any of you ever, um, buy an adult puppet show DVD...that just sounds so wrong). They did the show on a regular stage, so the audience could see the puppeteers underneath working the puppets, and there were large screen tvs around the stage that allowed you to see the puppet-only perspective. Very cool!

Anyway, the kids were very interested in the fact that we had gone to puppet show without them. As soon as I find the cord for the camera, I'll post a picture of Jocelyn trying to puppet up!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the first step to recovery for your Idol/Model addiction is to admit to your Bills jersey fetish!

alexis said...

dirty puppet shows, definitely something lacking here in Amsterdam.

Laura said...

It's ok, I'm glued to American Idol and I absolutely LOVE Top Model :)

Boris and I went to see "Avenue Q" in Vegas and were highly entertained by the adult puppet show--I didn't realize it was such a popular theme!

Susanne said...

Adult puppets huh?......hmmm....

stef said...

John and I saw Puppet up! on TV. At that time one of the actors from Showgirls (the red-haired gay guy) was the MC, which we founf apropos. Was he there for you guys? Did you watch the puppeteers or the screens?