Monday, January 15, 2007

We're Adopting!

A baby leopard, that is :) Caitlyn's grandpa gave her a monetary gift for X-mas with the understanding that 1/2 of the value would go to the charity of her choice. We finally sat down this weekend and reviewed some of the charities I picked out (I wanted to make sure her money would go to a well established charity to ensure her money actually goes to the cause she picked out). Caitlyn is very interested in animals, so she selected the World Wildlife Foundation, which has this really cute option where you can "adopt" and animal. Poor Caitlyn, she was devastated when I explained that she would only be able to virtually adopt a wild animal and that, in fact, no leopards were on their way to our house! ;) Actually, if you spend a certain amount of money the WWF will send you a stuffed representation of the animal you picked out, which is almost as good as the real thing when you are 8 years old. She took a long time to pick out the right animal, as the WWF site doesn't have the cutest pictures of each animal (and, according to Caitlyn, cute animals are really the only ones worth saving!). So now I have to endure at least 3 weeks of Caitlyn rushing for the mailbox (it takes 3-6 weeks for the WWF to ship your free gift). Thanks, Dad! ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sad to know that Caitlyn will not be assisting the adoption of the warthog, the rhino or the manatee or any of the other non-cute species. I guess I should be happy the grandfathers seem to be exempt from the "we only love the cute" rule.

alexis said...

hey, I happen to think all those animals are cute! Save the albino snake - now there's an ugly critter.

BTW, another good charity that a friend recommended to me: http://www.kiva.org/

Microloans to people building businesses in small countries. I didn't do any donations last year so I'm going to look into this tonight.

Laura said...

What a great gift! I'm storing that charity idea away for my sister's next birthday :)

Pulisha said...

oooh, that is a good charity, Lex-o. B/c Caitlyn is so young (and money is not yet a concept totally understood - esp. transactions over the internet), I wanted to try and show her charities that I thought would really catch her interest. I figured anything with wild cats would probably intrigue her. She had a blast navigating the website and taking all the different animal quizes in addition to being able to pick out her own animal to adopt. It was perfectly suited for Caitlyn's personality!

Anonymous said...

Caitlyn the Leopard - can't wait for middle school

alexis said...

I think that's totally perfect for a little girl too :)