Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Success!

After a disappointing attempt to make fish more palatable to my poor hubby on NYE (sauce was good, fish was, well, fishy), I scored my 1st success of the New Year last night with a lovely roasted Chateaubriand with Bernaise sauce (I'm so proud to have mastered the egg yolk after my last disasterous attempt at a hollandaise!). We completed our meal with a fresh baby greens salad and pan friend potatoes in lots o' butter (thank you Julia Child). My New Year's resolution is to get back to the basics of cooking and really learn the basic techniques of a good chef rather than trying every new recipe I see in one of my many magazines. Tonight we're going to have torellini in a tomato cream sauce with fresh, crusty french bread and steamed green beans. Yummy!

6 comments:

alexis said...

Oh. My. God. Yum!

Man, you are throwing down the gauntlet! I did in fact look at a recipe book last night before I made dinner, but found I was missing half the ingredients for everything.

I can see one problem I hadn't anticipated is that I actually need to (novel concept here *plan in advance* what I want to make for dinner. Otherwise I won't make any progress on understanding new recipes.

Anonymous said...

I think I see the bar being raised for the next Iron Chef competition

Anonymous said...

That sounds really delicious. What cookbooks are you referring to mostly for this "getting back to basics"? Just the Julia Child? How are you finding/making the time to do it?

Laura said...

Yum, can I come over to dinner?

Pulisha said...

I am mostly looking at Julia Child's The Art of French Cooking for the moment being. When I start feeling comfortable with some of those methods I plan to branch out intosomeof my more off the beaten paths books. I've got some great little books from various China Towns and some I picked up in Japan, but I feel like I need to get the basics of Western cooking down first.

As for how I find time (ha!), my plan is to cook from scratch only 3-4x/week (including both weekend nights) and try to combine recipes (for example, I plan to make a roast chicken w/40 cloves of garlic one night and use the leftovers in a Chinese chicken salad the next). So it just sounds like I'm doing a lot ;)

alexis said...

I still think that's awesome!