Thursday, January 11, 2007

Still an It

So, we still don't know what the sex is :( I meant to write about my miserable experience with my ob last week, but I was kind of upset at the time. Really it just has to do with being respected. I had a horrible experience in the lab, where the technicians were openly hostile and incompetent (the first girl signed me and then proceeded to yell to the other one that she was going on lunch and could she take care of me. After rolling her eyes and sighing deeply, the second girl proceeded to poke me several times in the arm and not take enough blood so then a third girl had to come and start the whole thing over.) Then I had to wait in the dr's office for almost 2 hours(!!) after being assured on my last visit that having to wait was highly unusual (we waited an hour and a half last time). This meant that Tim wasted his lunch hour sitting in the waiting room with me only to have to leave long before I got anywhere near the ultrasound machine. When they finally took me back they put me right into the ultrasound room, plus this was my 20wk appt, so I automatically assumed this was my ultrasound appt, right? Wrong.

After waiting all that time the dr finally came in only to tell me they don't do ultrasounds until the 24th wk b/c the baby is too small at this point. Umm, that's a 1st heard for me, since both my other kids had their ultrasounds at 20wks. That wouldn't have been so bad, but then he listened to the baby's heartbeat and asked me if I had any pressing questions. When I said no, he was out the door. My appt lasted literally all of five minutes. After waiting for nearly 2 hrs, I was highly unimpressed. Needless to say, my 1st phone call on Monday morning was to Tricare to ask for another dr. So my 1st experience with a civilian dr, not so hot. Hopefully my next dr will be better b/c I really don't want to switch drs again, especially this far along.

5 comments:

alexis said...

Please make sure you write him to tell him what a jerk his/her whole office was collectively, and that you will be telling all your friends to get another care-giver. I'm sure he/she had some excuse but I can't imagine it being good enough to justify that sort of treatment!

Anonymous said...

i think there are probably many reasons for the drop in quality service in healthcare. But i certainly hope you have a better experience this time!

Susanne said...

That's ridiculous Nikki!!!!!!!!!

I had my ultasound at 18 1/2 weeks because I kept bugging my midwife about the sex. There was PLENTY there to see.

I'd recommend seeing a midwife. From my experience (which isn't much BUT...) it seems midwives are more concerned about your experience rather than what ever it is that OB Drs seem so wrapped up in. I really liked both of the midwives that I worked with and really really disliked both of the doctors I saw.

Midwives just seem so much more invested.

Regardless, we're all thinking about you as you create that precious little life!!

Laura said...

I'm sorry... hopefully the next one they set you up with will be better. I can't believe they're making you wait four more weeks to find out the sex!

Anonymous said...

I agree whole heartedly with Alexis. Communicate to the MD to the company to everyone involved. The medical system is really screwed up but you don't have to just take stuff!