Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ode To My Maternity BDUs

Oh, Maternity BDU's,
You are so ugly and uncomfortable;
And yet there is something so comforting,
About you.

You are so big and tent-like,
I look like a small tree with boots;
And your elastic band sits so tightly across my stomach,
So that I am forced to pull it up to my ribs,
Like Urkel.

Yet, your billowing folds of extra material,
Hide the fact that I no longer have a waist;
And make me appear so small and large at the same time,
That no one has any idea how much weight I've gained.

I love you, Maternity BDUs.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like an ass but. What is a BDU? Some sort of military garment?

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you were a poet Lisa

Laura said...

That's beautiful Nikki. I almost can't wait till the day when I get to wear them... almost.

Pulisha said...

BDU stands for battle dress uniform. Its our camoflauge uniform, which is generally unflattering to the female form anyway, but the maternity BDUs really take it to the next level! Fortunately I tend not gain weight in my face, so everyone thinks I haven't gained much weight, hah hah hah hah!

Susanne said...

Tent shirts are so much fun!!!

I'm jealous I didn't get to wear a camoflauged one......EVERYday.

Ok, not really.

alexis said...

sniff.. I'm so proud. I didn't know we had a writer in the family!

Can we get a picture to go with this lovely verbal description?