Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Parents Weekend

I try so hard to keep up with this blog, but invariably life moves ahead too quickly! This past weekend was actually my reunion with some incredible childhood friends whom I hadn't seen in person in over 20 years. But that post will have to wait because the weekend before that was parents weekend at C's school. It was highly suggested that parents wait until that official visiting weekend before coming to see their children in person, so that the kids could get used to being on their own (maybe it was a little bit for the parents benefit, too!). So wait we did. Unfortunately, poor C had another volleyball accident. Same ankle as last January, too. At first they thought it might be a break, but the x-rays didn't show anything, so they scheduled an MRI for so the same weekend as parents weekend. It meant I missed out on meeting her teachers and seeing her classes, but I did get to spend some quality time with my daughter and take her to an important medical appointment, so it wasn't exactly a loss. J had an important soccer game (A's was canceled due to the condition of the field), so it ended up just being me and the boys making the trip up. I wish I would I pulled over during my drive because the foliage was amazing! But, a screaming baby in the backseat does not make for a scenic drive*, so I'll just have to settle for my memories. The good news is that my insurance covers most of C's physical therapy; the bad news is that the MRI confirmed she has a torn ligament and will be needing that physical therapy for a while. Poor C! :(

In the good news corner, C is really loving school. It's not like this was some quick fix, cure all. C has coasted by on being smart her whole life. But this school demands more, and they are used to students like C. She's had a double strike since she's had to take so much time off to go to various doctors appointments thanks to her injury, so she was already falling behind in her school work. She also picked an academic class for one of her electives (psychology), which means she has a bit more schoolwork than the average kid. As a child who struggles with executive management skills, this was a recipe for disaster, but I refrained from lecturing (too much) and let her go with her choices. To sum up, she's now got mandatory study hall for two of her classes which she's struggling in (her two least favorite classes, I might add), and she had to drop her art class so that she can use that extra time to catch up on her academic classes. She was disappointed, but I was surprised how well she took it. She was very philosophical and stated she expected she'd be allowed to pick the class back up once she had her grades up. It's so nice to be the sounding board and not the bad guy!!**


 Still not really into taking pictures, I did manage to get a few candid shots.

So peaceful...

Until she realizes that I am snapping photos!


*Having just done a long car trip the previous weekend, N was pretty much over the car seat.
**Even if I can't seem to help lecturing half the time!

2 comments:

alexis said...

oh wow that foot definitely looks bad, poor C! Looks like a beautiful campus too. Well done mama on letting your first little bird fly, I'm sure it ain't easy!

Bernice said...

Hope this is the last picture of C with the crutches. Glad she is enjoying school.