Sunday, September 02, 2012

Fitness Friday: Let's Hear it for the Buns

Whether you love your butt, hate it, or just like to sing about it



there's no denying that a nice round butt is either something you're born with, or something you have to work really, really hard at.* Besides the aesthetic benefits, a well-rounded butt** helps with all kids of other athletic endeavors. For example, as I continue to work through my ITB issues on our way to el marathon de Bangkok-o, I am finding that my pain likely stems from a variety of form issues which have resulted in weak and relatively inflexible hip flexors and glute muscles. How crazy is that? I've spent so much time trying to figure out how to fix my knees that it never occurred to me that the knee pain could be a result of under-training other, linked areas. T-Nation has a great article***on the basics of why glute training is so important, and I've decided to devote at least 2 days per week to additional glute training based on this Bret Contreras article because, well, it's been at least two weeks since I fucked with my routine and that's reason enough!

*sadly despite my prodigious butt mass, it mostly hangs flat :( 
**pun intended
***FYI - moderately NSF thanks to some creative pictures!

1 comment:

alexis said...

it makes sense of course that everything is connected, you should train everything. I am totally motivated by your fitness friday posts! I'm not actually taking any action but I like to think it is slowly cultivating and will eventually bloom into exercise.