Friday, September 21, 2012

Fitness Friday: Exercise - It's Not Just About Lookin' Good

It's really about overall wellness and health.

There has been a lot of talk lately about what America's obesity scale looks like now and what it will look like in a few years. These figures are scary for a number of reasons, but maybe our biggest concern should be for overall health dollars spent on what are entirely preventable diseases.

Let's not fool ourselves, this has become an important national issue with repercussions we have yet to reap. What happens when these overweight/obese children come of age and have chronic health problems to deal with? How are they going to get insurance? What happens when they can't? It's extremely unfortunate that these aren't rhetorical questions. And as much as I focus on the US, we're not the only country that should be worried. Where are you on the global fat scale?*

My numbers? Turns out I have a BMI 65% below the global average and 90%(!!) below the national average.

What. The. Eff.

That is just crazy. 30 years ago my weight would have been average. How have we become this fat in such a short period of time?

That's why it is so important to get your family started on a healthy lifestyle early. Exercise helps combat obesity in a variety of weighs (ha ha). Being "skinny" is the least of our worries.

*Yeah, I know, but I didn't name the damn thing.

3 comments:

Michael Podolny said...

Well I'm at 25 which turns out to be 80% under the US average and 57% of the world average but just on the verge of being "overweight". You on the other hand probably are about average for the typical Haitian.

alexis said...

one of the things that has started motivating me to exercise more and try to eat well is having a child! I want to be around and fit for her. At the very least I want to be able to pick her up and not have my back give out!

alexis said...

holy crap - I just took the little BMI test to see where I was on the fat scale - below average. Also was totally shocked. And I'm below average for even the Netherlands. Must be lots of fatties outside Amsterdam because everyone looks very fit here to me.