Friday, August 03, 2012

Sometimes This Life Sucks

Okay, so there's no Fitness Friday post today. It's been a crazy, crazy and kinds crappy week what with the flooding and the double workload that piled up from the work being canceled on account of flooding. In addition, we had to let one of our helpers go. We knew this day was coming. With our three kids headed back to school* and the other two headed back to the US in a couple of weeks, we just couldn't justify having two full time helpers. However, we weren't planning on having to make a decision until the end of the month until I found out that one of my new coworkers was looking for a nanny to start right away. We have been struggling so much with how to let our nanny go, and this seemed like the perfect situation. After all, we really, really liked her - she has a great personality, is a hard worker, and is very trustworthy. We very much wanted to make sure we helped her find another good position, so it seemed like this was a perfect opportunity to ensure she found another good position with an Embassy family. I've never really let anyone go before. And even though we had discussed our expectations up front, I don't think she was expecting us to really let her go. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. She cried...then I cried...and then she left. And now I feel like absolute shit. I know we did the right thing. We needed to let her go, and this was the perfect chance to find her another position within the Embassy community, but it was just so hard. I'm thinking I will likely never hire another helper again. I just don't know that it's worth it if at the end of your tour you have to crush their hopes and dreams. I don't ever want to have that much power over anyone. I still feel like vomiting a little bit when I think about how she looked when I told her we were going to let her go early. It was just a crappy, crappy day.



*Next Monday!!!!! Not that anyone's counting or anything. 

1 comment:

Daniela Swider said...

Wow, that is hard! It's hard to let someone go when you don't like them but if you like them it's that much harder. But how awfully nice of you to find her another position in the embassy community. Don't feel bad - you did what you had to do!