Sunday, June 19, 2011

A-100 Update #4

So much to catch up on! Let's see where I left off...Camp was fun, but very hot! I can see why this is considered a highlight in A-100 because you really get the opportunity to get to know your fellow classmates in a way you just can't in your normal environment. Luckily I have been blessed to be part of an amazing cohort, so I really enjoyed getting to know my colleagues (the wine may also have had a small part in my increased happy level). Poor Husband, on the other hand, returned from spending several days in the actual, for real woods with the kiddos (about 6-7hrs travel time to get home from rural Wisconsin) only to discover that our car had been towed despite having our complex sticker on the dashboard. Apparently they felt that because our car was parked in the same spot for a number of days that it had become a "suspicious vehicle." You can imagine the Husband's pleasure at returning home after a long day of travel with 3 kids, an extra trip to pay $250 to get our car out of impound (we did complain, and Oakwood will reimburse us), so when I called to talk from the bar it didn't go over so well.

I also got a call from Oakwood while we were gone that they had found us a space over at Oakwood Falls Church (we were in Ballston previously), so we spent last weekend moving into our new apartment. We had to move ourselves since we were the ones to requect the move, but it was totally worth it because FC is like paradise for kids. For any future FS'ers, I cannot recommend FC high enough if you have kids. If you're single or child-free, go to Ballston!

Week 4 of A-100 saw the decent into exhaustion. The excitement has worn off some, and the classes are long (and some a wee bit painful). We're also getting anxious for Flag Day (next Friday!!), so it's harder and harder to pay attention (also there is a lot of info being presented and the likelihood that we'll remember it all is getting smaller and smaller. At least for me it is, I've only so much room left in my brain!) In addition, the s-kids arrived so we are back up to 5 kids + MIL, which makes a total of 8 in our 3-bedroom apartment. So, there isn't much downtime, which has resulted in me developing a terrible cold that I'm desperately trying to get rid of before I head into Core Skills week next week. Core Skills week should return us to our normal level of excitement (and/or terror) since it is mostly focused on how to keep your composure when answering tough questions about U.S. foreign policy (and also how to avoid inadvertently changing it by answering stupidly), as well as public speaking among other things. Then on Friday, as noted above, I will finally find out where I am going in a ceremony known as Flag Day. Basically we'll all be seated in an auditorium where our MC will bring up pictures of the flag of a certain country, we're supposed to yell out the name of the country from memory (so I'll be the one in the back mumbling), and then they call the name of the individual who will be going to that post. This is a big family event, so even though Husband is really not looking forward to having all 5 kids there, it means a lot to me to have everyone involved.

Oh, I also found out last week that putting A on the FSI daycare waiting list paid off. Starting Monday he will be coming with me on the Oakwood shuttle to work to go to FSI's daycare center on campus. This is going to be a mental lifesaver for the Husband, and it should be great for A, as well. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the FSI daycare and how focused it is on preparing your children for going Global.

This weekend we had a small bbq with a few classmates and there kids (there was a larger event going on last night, but we didn't want to make people suffer through having our 5 kids running around like maniacs). It was nice to finally hang out with people outside of the classroom. Husband and I also plan to attend one of the Happy Hour events next week (we always have about 3-4 events scheduled per week, but I have not really been able to attend any because of the fam), and, of course, we will attend the family-friendly celebration after flag day. I am stressing a wee bit because I have procrastinated on my school work, and I have two big papers due in the next week that I have yet to start. It makes me feel very guilty to come home after work at 6pm and have to hole up in my room trying to bang out homework when Husband has been home all day with the kids (who also miss me, I hope!), but I am so close to finishing! Only a few more months. I have to say, though, that I would not recommend staying in school while attending A-100 to anyone else!

So that's life in a nutshell right now. This week should be fairly busy, but you can be sure I'll post the minute we know where we're gong so everyone can start making their travel plans! :)

3 comments:

alexis said...

holy crap, has anyone told you how nuts you are to be doing all of this at the same time? There should be an award.

And for those of us overseas in a less governmental way, please please please send a mail or text or something asap so we hear where you are posted this Friday!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

We'll all be anxiously awaiting an update after Flag Day next week.

Dad said...

Daughter, it is hard to believe just how crazy ass your life is. I hope that after flag day things will chill out a bit.