Thursday, March 17, 2011

Still Waiting

Now that I’ve let the cat out of the bag about my career aspirations, that’s about all the news I can give. This is a long and painful process that mostly involves waiting. State has requested some additional medical info from me, but I have to wait another 3 weeks before I can get the tests done, so I won’t even be able to submit that paperwork for consideration until the beginning of April. Then there’s always the chance that they’ll want more info/testing, so that process could continue to drag on. My security clearance seems to be chugging along (they redid the whole investigation – our tax dollars at work!), and I suspect I may hear news on that before I hear about my medical clearance. After those two items are done, I still have to pass through the Final Suitability Review before my name even goes on the hiring register.

I suppose all the delays are a good thing for now. I just got wind from the Yahoo Groups I belong to that State is canceling the May A-100 class altogether, most likely due to all of the budget issues. What does that mean for me? I have no freaking clue! My guess is that the registers will simply continue to grow with people, some of whom may have better scores than me which would put them higher on the list for the next class. Of course, when the next class will be held is also up for debate. I can only assume that State will have to hire at least at attrition rate (meaning that they need new blood to make up for retirees and those leaving the service for their own reasons); however, if there’s no budget and therefore no money…basically I have no idea when the next A-100 class will be or where I’ll be on the register once they resume. There is talk that they may cancel classes for the entire year! *sigh*

Of course in my real life (not the fantasy one I have in my head) I also work for the federal government, so the budget woes concern me greatly in that aspect as well. I don’t think I’m going to be laid off any time soon, but the longer this fiasco goes on, the more I have to worry about. Maybe I should have just stuck with the family status quo and gone into business for myself. At least then maybe I would feel like I have some control!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Even if you work for yourself, you are still at the whim of the economy! If your clients don't have any money they won't hire you at all.
It has got to be very frustrating to have passed all the "tests" and now to have to keep on waiting. Talk to Uncle Galvin - he is in the same boat!

alexis said...

oh no! call me any time you want to walk, I think I have a pretty good idea of what you are going through. I spent most of 2005 waiting to move to Spain - which obviously never happened!

Don't worry though, everything happens for a reason. Hang in there and keep up all your hard work diversifying your skills.

Dad said...

I agree with Alexis. Hang in there. Things will work out.