Friday, August 07, 2009

Life Goes On...

Back from Colorado/Dallas. It was a little sad this time around since my bff is PCSing soon, and I won't get to see her for a long time again :( I came back to a complete shitstorm at work. I know I've complained about many offices in the past, but this one really takes the cake on so many levels. I absolutely love my company, love my coworkers and love the mission set...the frustrating part is the gov't-contractor interaction. I really don't want to say any more in this forum, but it is really getting to be almost comical how little gets done at my place of business because of some seriously ridiculous roadblocks.

I am still pretty upset about the whole A situation, but I'm trying to keep it in perspective. There is this guy that I work with in CO who has a special needs child. His son has a very severe genetic disorder. In fact, he and his wife were told that their son probably wouldn't survive his 1st year. He's 5 now, and he's out lived a lot of his little friends from the NICU. He has the developmental level of about a 2-year old but he's alive and he's thriving. It's really an incredible story. I was really touched when he told me that he doesn't think of his son's difficulties in a negative way. He feels blessed and joyful when his son reaches any milestone. Those of us with non-special needs children take these for granted because they're expected, but with his son they never expected him to live so every milestone he achieves is a triumph. He is just grateful to have a beautiful son who he can put his arms around. He doesn't look at it from the point of view of what his son might be missing out on but what his son has been able to accomplish. I wish I could articulate it the way he told it to me, but I was so moved I almost started crying. It really made me feel like I shouldn't grieve for the normalcy A will miss out on but take these struggles as an opportunity to appreciate his achievements.

Of course then there's the whole insurance situation to just drag me back down. So I mentioned that we don't qualify for services since we have insurance and the insurance doesn't start paying until after we meet our annual $3000 deductible...but here's the real kicker: BC/BS* only pays $500/person per year for speech therapy. Do you know how many sessions that will cover? Approximately 5. A needs therapy 3-5x per week. So, thanks BC/BS! I'm so glad I'm paying out of the ass for the top tier health plan!

*what an apt acronym

6 comments:

Susanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stef said...

Oi. Healthcare is so effed. Write your congressperson today! thanks for the story you shared from your coworker. That is truly a perspective that is valuable to any parent.

Susanne said...

Hope things start to look up for you.

Laura said...

Wow, that insurance situation sucks! It's sad and infuriating that you would be better off not having it all so that you could get the state assistance! Why do they even bother with the $500 of coverage after they've already made you pay such a huge deductable? Anyway, that's really great about your coworker and it seems his perspective of appreciating the good in a situation would be so helpful in many areas of life.

I'm sad about not being able to see you as often! You have to come out and visit and I definitely want to try and make it down to Florida as well!!!

Dad said...

What a wonderful thing to have met that co-worker and get that viewpoint. An incredible blessing.

Blow up the health insurance system!

alexis said...

I was just talking to people about how messed up the US healthcare system was.

I am really glad you met that person too. Just imagine if no one had caught the problem! Thank goodness he can get care now at the right time to get the maximum benefit...