Thursday, July 30, 2009

Quick Update

Well, A's hearing checked out okay, and he's finally got a diagnosis - apraxia. I guess it's good that we know what the probem is now. The bad thing is apparently this is a disorder that can be quite serious, and it could take a long time before A is up to where he should be. The other problem is that we don't qualify for state funding thanks to our screwed up insurance. Because our insurance doesn't outright deny coverage, we don't qualify for state funded assistance. Unfortunately this means we have to pay out of pocket until we hit our $3000 deductible. Isn't it great that I pay for the top tier health plan. I love how that's working out for us*

In other news, we got Hubs' financial aid package from the school and it isn't quite as comprehensive as we had hoped. So we're scrounging for a quick plan to cover the rest of the costs *sigh* Also, I'm leaving tomorrow to go back to CO, then I head to Ft Worth for a conference for a few days. Poor Hubs, the bad news just keeps coming for him, lol!

*have I mentioned how much I had to shell out for J's dental work?

6 comments:

Dad said...

Hang in there kiddo :(

Susanne said...

Let me know if I can help in anyway or if you just need to talk.

I'm glad they were able to diagnose him so quickly.

Will be thinking of you!!!!!

alexis said...

thank goodness they were able to diagnose it, and it can be fixed. Sucks about the costs, health care is not cheap in the US. But at least you get to keep most of your salary (tax rate here goes up to 45%) so you theoretically have some money to pay for all that.

Stef said...

What dental work for J?

Mom said...

Yes, it is good to finally know what the problem is with A. I read the article you mentioned and all the information fits very well. It seems clear that A's anger tantrums probably stem from his frustration with trying to communicate. I am so glad that you are moving forward to help him overcome this. Let us know when therapy starts.

Laura said...

Sorry to hear about A and the high insurance costs, but at least it's good that you know what the problem is and are able to get him the help he needs. Thank goodness you followed your gut and got him evaluated!!

Can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!