Thursday, August 13, 2009

Time - Thumbs Decidedly Down!

This article made me really, really angry. I cannot believe Time would publish such a moronic and ill thought out article. How many idiots are going to read this and decide they shouldn't exercise because it will make them fat? The benefits of exercise are so much more than simple weight loss. Even putting aside all of those benefits*, if you just want to lose weight it is really a simple equation, as my big sis likes to point out: calories in vs. calories out. If you exercise and burn more calories and you don't consume more calories, you will lose weight. It is really that simple.** To state (and I'm paraphrasing here) that you might as well not exercise because you're going to be unable to resist eating more food is completely inane. How about in addition to exercising, you eat more healthful foods (i.e. eat a baked potato instead of those McDonald's french fries). You certainly don't need to cut down on volume. In fact, most people could probably eat more if they just picked the right things. How completely irresponsible to give value to the excuses people use to not exercise.

Now I'm not saying everyone needs to go out and do the crazy shit I do. I do high impact plyometric cardio because it is enjoyable to me. That is really the key to incorporating exercise into your life. You have to find an activity that is enjoyable to you, like hiking or tennis or playing tag with your kids. Otherwise it will always feel like a chore, like punishment. Exercise is enjoyable. I feel great after my workouts*** because I feel so accomplished, and the endorphin rush is pretty great, too. If you hate exercise, it's probably because you haven't found the right activity yet.

Oh, and on the note of eating well. Here's another great foodie blog for us cheapskates. I can't believe I haven't discovered this one before!

* Combating chronic illness, boosting your energy level, and improving your psychological well-being to name but a very few. Also check out this article, interestingly, from the very same publication.
** Unfortunately no amount of exercise is going to get rid of the loose skin after having 3 babies short of completely starving myself...but I digress
*** Even though I'm a big sweaty ball laying on the ground gasping for breath

4 comments:

Susanne said...

** thanks for the reminder that I'm a hopeless case in any attempts to get my body back!!!! LOL!!!

Every one wants an excuse to do the crappy things they do. Not that not exercising makes you a crappy person, but you know what I mean.

But really, who wants to say "i want to loss weight, but I'm too fat and lazy to do it." It's much easier to complain about it while doing absolutely nothing about the situation.

(PERSONALLY)I think it's just a part of the American ethic. Americans are brought up to complain and make excuses, just for the sake of it.

Dad said...

Wow. We haven't had a good rant from you in ages!

Stef said...

I think it's interesting you had such a strong reaction to this article. I'm not really sure why you feel the magazine is irresponsible to publish it. First of all, it does espouse all the benefits of exercise that you mention in your rant. What it seems to say is that the KIND of exercise that is generally thought to be helpful for weight loss does not seem to be scientifically proven. And that new studies suggest that the current thought of living a basically sedentary lifestyle, interrupted by 30-90 mins of hardcore exercise may actually be detrimental to weight loss.

What i got from the article is that humans may be better served by more moderate exercise more often and that weight loss is generally a result of calorie intake. All the recent research seems to suggest that the impact of calories lost during exercise is minimal. Or maybe this is just a depressing though to you?

alexis said...

Amen to Susanne on the last part! It is such a shame, but it is totally true of us alas!

I haven't read the article in its entirety but I can concur with Steph's synopsis. Moving to A'dam, where I have to be moderately active most of the time, has been much better for my health than going to the gym.

But that is also because what Lisa said is true - if you don't like the form of exercise you're doing, you will not incorporate it into your life. I love biking and walking around town so it's easy for me to make time for it.