Thursday, December 18, 2008

Quick Post

I feel like I should post something even though there's nothing exciting to write about. Had an IT meltdown at work today. Luckily my system admin was able to get everything up and running by day's end so that I would have system access during the holidays (he is headed out on vacation tomorrow), which would have really sucked since I am working through the holidays! Thanks to my fabulous company policy, we either have to take leave or make up the time if there is inclement weather which prevents us from being able to get to our worksite. Because of the nature of the work I do, it is not possible for me to work from home, so I am basically stuck making up the two hours I missed on Tuesday thanks to the snow (yes, it totally melted by about noon). This especiall sucks since I was hoping to work overtime already so that I could take the 24th off, but now it is physically impossible to make up the hours (we can only make up hours during the same pay period) so I am going to have to work on the 24th. Plus, since the Pres declared the 26th a federal holiday our building will be closed that day too and all contractors are being forced to take leave or leave without pay. So while it will be nice to have the 26th off, it also kind of crappy since I don't really have any leave to burn.

I also attempted to make rugalach tonight since we are having our organizational holiday potluck tomorrow (families are being permitted into the conference room...lucky families!). I happened by the sign-up sheet just as one of the oranizers was standing there with pen in hand and asically guilted me into promising to bring something in the next day. Kind of crappy since I had assumed the whole thing was going to get canceled (no one had signed up as of yeserday). Anyway, apparently I have a very short term memory because everytime I try to bake I remember all over again that I cannot bake! My sis MR must have gotten all the baking genes in the family b/c my moms is an awesome baker. Hopefully they taste good since they look like shit (and kind of like J might have made them) and I only managed to make about 12 cookies before I said fuck it. I didn't have enough time to let the dough cool in the fridge and I don't have a baking sheet to roll out the dough, so I was getting really frustrated with the whole endeavor. Hubs finally suggested that I just bake what I already had assembled and leave the rest, that way if they taste terrible I will not have wasted my entire evening. *sigh* I love the holidays (I am that annoying person who has the 24hr Christmas station on all day in the office), but man has it been stressful!

6 comments:

Laura said...

You should just stop by the grocery store on your way to work and get something from the bakery. Then just put it in your own container and say you made it :) They won't know the difference

That sucks you have to work on Christmas Eve :( I hope you have a great Christmas weekend to make up for it!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Try to stay merry through it all!! Knowing the rest of your family as I do, I find it difficult to believe that you're not a chef. If you didn't have work, two jobs right?, kids, more kids and a house to take care of, you'd be a great baker I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Yes Lakeview dearest Pu doesn't cut herself any slack :(

alexis said...

work does provide amply opportunities for sucking. Hang in there!

Susanne said...

: ( Sorry you have to work over the holidays......

Did I ever send you the story about the people who build the cathedrals??

If not I'll have to send it to you.

stef said...

I am working Weds too before we leave. I am now in the hole 3 days due to all the illness! (gah)