Monday, December 22, 2008

Get In the Kitchen and Make Me Some Pie!

Reading over my last few posts, I realize that I have been venting more than normal. I have been bottling all my stress up, so I apologize for letting it all out on here. So when I am feeling particularly stressed I have resolved to devote my blogging to an activity I find less stressful: cooking a quick, family-friendly meal. I figure I cook most nights now (since we are tightening our belt just like 99.9% of Americans nowadays), so this will provide me with lots of blog fodder! :) Here is today's menu, which was made in less than 30min (minus cooking time):

Chicken Pot Pie*

1lb chicken breast, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, choppped thin
2 carrots, chopped thin
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 cup cream
1 cup milk
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup sherry
3 tbsp bouquet garni
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 tbsp butter
frozen pie crust (or make your own if yo' so inclined)

Melt butter in large sauce pan over medium heat & fry up chicken pieces until just cooked through (about 6-8min depending on how small you cube them). Remove chicken & add onion, carrots, celery, & spices (salt, pepper, bouquet garni) to pan and cook until onions are clear (make sure your celery and carrots are sliced thin so they cook through at the same time as the onion). If the mixture seems a little dry, add some more butter or oil. Remove pan from heat & add flour, stir until thoroughly mixed & return pan to heat. Add chicken stock, milk, cream, & sherry stirring slowly to keep the consistency creamy. Return chicken to mixture & add in frozen peas. Remove mixture and add to pie pan and cover with prepared crust (remember to cut slits in the top pie crust!). Pop in the oven at 350 for 25 minutes and voila! dinner that everyone will actually eat!**


*Confession: I cook by taste and don't really measure my ingredients, so please forgive me if they are slightly off. Also, please remember that I am at a very high altitude, so you may have to adjust the liquid to flour ratio to achieve the right consistency.

**Hint: place a baking pan underneath the pot pie so that if it overflows it doesn't fuck up your oven!

4 comments:

stef said...

Yay! recipes!

Laura said...

mmm... I love chicken pot pie! I use cream of potato soup in mine and add a little white wine to the mix before it goes in the oven :) I'm gonna try adding the bouquet garni though

Susanne said...

You're amazing Nikki!! Greg and kids are lucky if they get a nice crock pot dinner. Greg is definitely the chef in our home.

Even if you have to work, I hope you have a peaceful holiday.

Anonymous said...

Nice touch about the pan to protect the oven - it's amazing how many recipes don't mention those critical little touches.