Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pu's Olympic Coverage

So, I don't know about all of you, but I friggin' love the Olympics. I mean, I am just slightly obsessed with making sure I catch every single moment of my favorite sports event. I can still remember watching Janet Evans when I was a young, impressionable girl and thinking how someday that could be me. I get all choked up when I see the medal ceremonies and watch the emotion on the atheletes' faces. I just love everything about them. Hubs and MIL, however, do not share my enthusiasm. Hubs is watching the US-China basketball game only because of his great love for Kobe and not so much for that feeling of national pride. I have also mentioned my excitement to several others in the days leading up to the start of Olympic coverage only to be met with the same sort of tepid response. Most people seemed rather indifferent, which go me to thinking. Am I the only one who still carries this childlike adoration for the Olympics? Is the excitement something most people grow out of, or am I just abnormal because I once dreamed of Olympic gold myself? What do you all think?

As a side note, though the kids were bored to death watching the opening ceremonies (yes, I made them watch the whole thing), C has become a lot more interested since watching Michael Phelps win his first gold. I may have spurred a new generation of Olympic fans by talking him up to her (she keeps asking me when he's going to swim again!) Goal achieved! ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say that the over hype and over politicization of Olympic coverage eventually ground me down and took away the joy.

I still can't get pumped about various competitions.

Gymnastics and the like would be so much better if the allowed defense from the other teams.

alexis said...

I think a lot of people prefer the winter olympics. I do love synchronized swimming though.

stef said...

Surprisingly, Husband has had it on like 24-7 since it started. But maybe because I don't make him turn it off! :)

Laura said...

I watched it all day yesterday and I was surprised how excited I got about it all. Especially the men's freestyle relay last night--wow! I've always loved the Olympics and probably always will :)

Susanne said...

I love the Olympics Nikki :)

When the Olympics were in Seoul my moms friends would all come over to watch and every time Korea was awarded a Gold metal, they would all cry and hug and sing the anthem.

It's such strong memory for me, I still cry when ever the US or Korea is awarded a gold.

It's doubly exciting this year because Greg and I have friends who are rowing for the US!!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I always THINK I'm going to shun the olympics, then I get sucked in. When we our boys won the 4x100 swimming competition against the frogs, I was yelling as if Grossman had just completed a pass to Hester for a 60 yard touchdown.

And women playing volleyball in their underwear? C'mon, what guy doesn't love that??

Anonymous said...

no time for the olympics, too busy listening to your heart...because it plays my favorite song.

:)

Pulisha said...

Susanne - that is so cool! I always get all choked up when I hear the national anthem play and our flag rises up (and the athlete and/or their family flubs the words ;) I can't help it. I'm just a sucker for watching people's happiest moments :)