Monday, February 05, 2007

Omaha Sucks

Okay maybe I'm biased since it was 80 degrees and fabulously sunny when I left LA yesterday, but it is freaking cold in Omaha! My flights were both full, and I am too fat to lean over and get things out from under my seat :( I have to get out of my seat and squat down to get my belongings. Plus, I've recently discovered that people seem to think that staring at pregnant people is not considered rude. Clearly I did not receive this memo since it makes me feel uncomfortable and I get a strong urge to say things like, "no I don't really love pickles, I am in fact pregnant and the shirt is supposed to be funny. Now please stop staring at me and trying to figure out whether I am pregnant or if I just have a really wide butt!"

Anyway, back to the Omaha suckage. So I get into the airport at about 8pm last night and struggle with my heavy luggage (as many non-pregnant people stare and do not offer to help). The signs in the sirport were confusing, so I ask the info desk where to go to pick up my rental car. they send me outside into the -2 degree weather (according to the internet it feels more like -20 with the wind chill, mind you) and way out past the parking garage only to find out that, in factm the actual rental car check-in is inside the terminal, so I have to go back to get my keys. Did I mention that I am carrying all my luggage and it is -2 degrees!!!! (I did attempt to dig out some of my old winter gear, but I already got rid of all my winter maternity clothes and we couldn't find any gloves or a real winter coat, so I am damn cold!). I get all the way back inside only to find the rental counter empty b/c the guy manning it has gone for the longest cigarette break ever! Finally get my car and discover that mapquest has given me some seriously shitty directions. Example:

Mapquest: go NW on Abbott Rd
Me: which way is NW?

Finally make it to my hotel 1 1/2 hours later (it is 10 miles from the airport). Fall asleep.

Day 2: try to start my car for 15 minutes. Much begging and pleading ensues. Car finally starts. Discover that mapquest has again given me sucky directions. Take 35 minutes to find the contractor site only 5 miles from my hotel. Attend 3 1/2 hours of death by Power Point led by the Monotone Woman. Try to stay awake by drinking crappy coffee. Baby does not like crappy coffee and lets me know...repeatedly! Go to lunch and almost get run off the road by middle aged farmer in F250 truck who glares back at me when I yell and shake my fist (I was very, VERY lucky not to get hit as he nearly broadsided me and I only missed being hit by managing to swerve into the turn lane). Return to conference where we break into our working groups. Informed that I am supposed to have brought some materials I have never heard of with me. Inform working group lead that I have never heard of such materials. Am stared at like I am stupid. Long pause. Return to hotel and freeze ass off.

And I'm supposed to be here until Friday, aghhhhh!!! I think I am going to cut my trip short, though, and try to return after Wednesday's wrap up and skip the second part of the conference. Must say, though, I am not lovin' Omaha!

On a totally different note, why is it that I can find Lexi's blog with ease using the blogger search, but I cannot locate Loki the Dog and his Blog?? Are there more dogs named Loki in blogdom than there are Alexises in Amsterdam?

4 comments:

Susanne said...

www.theblogofloki.blogspot.com :)

You can read about my airport adventures!!

alexis said...

"death by Power Point" HAHAHAHAH. Power Point has to be one of the most hated technological advancements ever, giving the power to bore to all of pleb-dom.

I think you should definitely try to get outta Omaha early! :(

On another note, it is disturbingly easy to find my blog. Apparently there just aren't a lot of people named Alexis in Amsterdam, blogging or otherwise. Ergo why I try to never use real names for anything

stef said...

Ooo. Sounds terrible. It is just as cold here. But then, I live here and can go home to my warm house and family. Fingers crossed you can leave early!

Laura said...

Maybe it's time to add links to your favorite blogs (you know where it says "edit me" on the side of the page)... that way you never have to search around for the blogs you like best :)

Sorry about Omaha... why on earth would they host a conference there in the middle of winter?