Monday, July 25, 2005

Minnesota - Days 1 & 2


So after two sun-soaked weeks in San Antonio, we packed our things and headed off to good ole Minnesota. Now I haven't been there since I was very young, but my most prominent memories of the farm are of mosquitos and debilitating heat. (Tim laughed at me when I told him that because San Antonio temperatures often exceeded 100 degrees and he didn't see how Minnesota could be that hot when it only gets to the mid 80's there.) Unfortunately, my memory hadn't failed me. Minnesota is as muggy and bug-filled as I remembered. I will always have fond memories of the farm, but I was absolutely miserable this time around. Maybe it was the fact that I am 25lb heavier than normal, but I was so gross and sweaty the whole time, not to mention the killer mosquitos that you couldn't get rid of no matter how much bug spray you applied. Poor Caitlyn got it the worst. She was covered from head to toe in mosquito bites and itched incessently for our entire week there.

Actually, our first couple of days weren't too bacd. We met up with Tim's mom at the airport in Minneapolis and spent a couple of days getting to know her. I was so glad we were able to do that because originally we had planned to add a side trip into Buffalo (where she lives) into our travel plans, but then we thought the additional travel would be too much of a burden both financially and because of the pregnancy. Caitlyn absolutely fell in love with her new Grandma, who spoiled her rotten! I had to assure Tim that my parents aren't nearly so accomodating (having spent 6 weeks caring for Caitlyn full-time while I was TDY last year, my parents are well aquainted with the Caitlyn-ways and aren't as indulgent since they know the consequences! :) Our hotel had an indoor pool we took advantage of, and we also spent a day at the Mall of America, which actually made me happy that I was pregnant. If I hadn't been one can only imagine the kind of money I could have blown there. After only two short days, we had to say goodbye to Tim's mom and headed off for my family reunion.

No comments: