Saturday, July 28, 2012

Fitness Friday (a day late): Finding a Support System

And this is why I hate going to gyms. Its a phenomenon I noticed among women and men alike. Gym rats (and, yes, I am totally generalizing here) tend to be just as focused on what other people are doing as they are on their own workouts. I can't stand that! That in addition to the annoying way people use the gym to socialize is the reason I began to work out at home in the first place. I have to say though, that there is nothing quite like have a fitness support system, which can also be found at gyms, yoga studios, or through clubs like Crossfit. If you have trouble with self-motivation (and I think that applies to a lot of us!), having a circle of like-minded individuals who encourage you through those dips and valleys we all experience is absolutely priceless.

Nowadays there are so many options available to those who want to start down the path to better health. There are websites, Facebook groups and message board communities, in addition to the traditional gym and fitness class options.  Personally, I like to read a lot of fitness blogs. While it might not be community in the traditional sense, it's nice to see that there are other people who share my passion without having to bore my friends and coworkers (and, trust me, nobody really wants to hear about how many box jumps you can do outside of your Crossfit class - nobody!). 

2 comments:

alexis said...

I'm inspired! Though I don't like working out traditionally I like to be active and so I'm trying to be more proactively ensuring I have good exercise in my every day life.

I'm fortunate to live in a place where I can cycle to work for example, though I have to plan it. Starting slowly, just once a week but you gotta start somewhere.

Michael Podolny said...

Then there are those of us who just don't like the rest of humanity ESPECIALLY when we're exercising and just want to be away from everyone.