Saturday, October 10, 2009

Yay for Fall Cooking

I have really been in to simple cooking lately for obvious reasons. I'm looking for delicious, flavorful dishes that can be made very quickly. None of this 30min meals bullshit where the 30min doesn't ever seem to include the actual prep time. I'm also excited for fall flavors. I love root veggies (if my Ode to a Sweet Potato hadn't tipped you off) and hearty soups and stews. So, in spite of the fact that it was 95 degrees here yesterday (!!), here is a great little fall recipe I made on Saturday.

Pu's Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Onions

2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ~1" pieces
1 lg sweet onion, chopped into pieces about the same size
1 sprig chopped fresh Rosemary
2-3 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Super simple. Toss the veggies in the oil with the spices and stick in the oven at about 400 degrees for about 30-40min (cooking time will depend on the size of your veggie slices). I served this with a lucious roasted chicken (nothing but kosher salt and an onion in its belly roasted at 400 degrees for abot 1 1/2 hours). Sooo easy!


Today I learned A has a new word. As I got dressed for the day, my beloved youngest son pranced around my room wearing nothing but a diaper and my push-up bra draped attractively over one shoulder. "ahhh, sssss!" he cried gleefully. To celebrate this complete nonsequitar, I bring you a new feature here at Pu's Corner:

Things You Never In a Million Years Imagined Would Come Out of Your Mouth During Normal, Daily Conversation:

"Did you just lick the shopping cart?"

"Yes, that is my son in aisle five on all fours meowing like a cat."

"Yes, cats fart, but that wasn't the cat."

"Don't shove that in your ear. You are not Mr. Potato Head."

"Please don't punch Mommy in the butt."

9 comments:

stef said...

"Please don't punch Mommy in the butt."

Husband's reaction: "Really? She never thought she'd say that? They must not have had a very good honeymoon."

Susanne said...

Love it.

You'll have to help me with THIS one, Mrs. Mom of 3!!! C asked me today how the baby would get out of my belly.....

Should I tell him ; P ???? he he he

alexis said...

only daddy gets to touch mommy's butt - that's the rules.

Anonymous said...

Hah! I hope this becomes a regular feature.

Laura said...

mmm... that meal sounds delicious! I might have to give it a try :) I can't believe you're still having such warm weather! It's gloomy and rainy here today (I almost feel like I moved back to Seattle!) and I hear it's been freezing in CO lately--record lows!

Pulisha said...

@Stef - Hubs' response, "What? You didn't post anything about donkey punches."

@Susanne - I told my kids that babies are granted by magical fairies, which resulted in C wishing on many stars and the end result being a baby brother. NOT HAPPY! So, in retrospect, maybe it's better to just tell the truth. They probably won't believe you anyway :)

Dad said...

What is it with our gene pool that generation after generation has this desire to be cats in public????

stef said...

per husband, "touche"

Susanne said...

hee hee....

DAMN THOSE MAGICAL FAIRIES!!!!