Monday, February 02, 2009

Random Tidbits

Sometimes it pays to be a history nerd
So my office has several retired naval officers that like to swap sea stories during our morning meetings. Today they were joking around about the poor state of the Russian and Chinese navies, and how neither country had a history of seafaring. So I felt compelled to bring up the stories of Zheng He (thank you Chinese Studies degree) and Pyotr the Great (thank you History Channel ;) just so I could look smart, hee.

Food:
Went a whole week on SB, and I didn't lose a single pound! *sigh* I'm feeling really discouraged right now because I've actually gained since starting Chalean Xtreme 4 weeks ago. I know it can take 6 weeks or more to see results from a new routine but to gain weight!! WTF?? Also, trying to stick with the extreme Phase 1 is really difficult when no one else in your family is eating the way you are. I have to cook two separate meals, and the preparation is unbelievable. Anyway, that's my way of weasling out of it! ;) I'm just going to stick with eating less and trying to eat as clean as possible. Speaking of which, it's been a while since I posted a recipe, so here's a good one for some yummy & good for you muffins.

Apple Raisin Muffins:

1 cup low fat buttermilk
1/3 cup no sugar applesauce
2 egg whites
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar

1 cup oat flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1 apple, chopped
1/2 cup raisins

Combine wet ingredients & oats in one bowl and the dry ingredients in another bowl. Then comine the two and add in the chopped apple and raisins and stir just until mixed (add some additional buttermilk if the batter is too thick). Bake for 20 min at 400 degrees or until you cna insert a toothpick and remove it cleanly.

Workout:
Today I dd Squeeze with Tracy Effinger. I love these barre type workouts. I broke down and bought Tracy Anderson's Mat Workout, and I got the new Exhale Core Fusions in a trade* so I'm going to try a rotation with barre workouts and maximum cardio effort. I plan on doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) at least 2x a week and some other form of cardio (probably kickboxing) 3x per week. Hopefully the extra instensity will help me sed these stubborn pounds before I head off to Mexico!

Things I'm Thankful For:
- Eb5 facial cream and eye cream. I got these as samples from Walgreens (samples which I have made last for over two weeks, so imagine how long the 4oz jar will last!), and I am in love! I have pretty oily skin, but I live in an extremely dry climate. Eb5 is the first facial cream I've found that makes my skin feel soft and smooth but doesn't clog my excessively oily pores. It is my best beauty find ever!
- VH1 realty shows...watch one of these things, seriously, you will feel so much better about yourself!
- Having a good, stable job that pays the bills...that means a lot these days

*I am such a nerd!!

5 comments:

Susanne said...

I hope you like Tracy Anderson. I still can't make it through an entire work out with her, with out resting.

I had no intention of losing weight (just ass gerth), but I've managed to lose 5 lbs doing TA.

I don't know if it's your style, but have you heard of Zumba??

stef said...

Calories!!!! That's the last I'll say about it. But I am 10lbs and counting....

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful for my job too. A regular paycheck with includes health insurance is a beautiful thing.

Anonymous said...

I want to know how all those Navy guys responded to your elucidating comments.

alexis said...

maybe the extra weight is muscle?