Tuesday, August 28, 2007

No VSP :(

If you were wondering whether or not the VSP program for '08 came out (as I'm sure you all were), it did and, of course, I am not eligible. Seems the AF finally got a clue after making so many personnel cuts last year that we were practically bleeding intel officers. After over a year of kicking people out left and right they finally realized, "Hey! There's a war going on and we're getting rid of all our experienced people. Perhaps that is not the smartest move?" So, all operational AFSC's (which includes yours truly) are now off the list of folks they're willing to cut loose seeing as they're now down to 65% manning for intel captains. Way to go, AF! I remember when we first had all the mandatory info meetings about the force shaping program, and the officer in charge would get up and declare vehemently that the AF WAS NOT going to make the same mistakes they did last time (in the mid-90's when they got rid of a ton of people after the 1st Gulf War). This time it would be different! This time they had a plan! Oh, how I laughed and laughed. Somehow it seemed fairly obvious to me that one's military should probably not start giving out incentives to get rid of people while, you know, there's a war going on! But, then, I actually have a brain, something that the folks at AFPC clearly lack. So now they've finally gotten a clue, just in time to screw me. Figures.

At any rate, we're now in the process of trying to igure out what the hell we're going to do. Right now I'm sort of hedging my bets as to whether I'll stay in or not. My boss is trying to see if there's any way I can get a guaranteed state-side deployment. If that's a possibility, I may stay in a bit longer. If not, well, I've already started putting my resume out there. I figure it can't hurt to see what I'm worth on the outside.

Drama, Drama, Drama

I think all of my children are born with the drama queen gene. A is clearly learning from his older sisters and has learned how to manipulate Mommy into doing just what he wants. He likes to fuss and cry so that I go to all the trouble of getting ready to feed him, then he'll refuse to take the nipple and just sit there and smile at me so that I can't get angry because he's just so darn cute. Or I'll have him in my arms but be paying attention to something else and he'll start twisting and fussing until I look at him. Then he'll smile really big as if to say, Pay attention to meeeeeee! Of course, being a drama queen has its advantages for us parents. For example, it's very easy to distract J when she's throwing a tantrum. All I have to do is start pointing out old boo-boos and she will hold up whatever body part it is for kisses and forget all about whatever it was she was throwing a fit about. Very useful!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So bummed about the VSP. That would have been so nice for you.

I like J's technique. Maybe next time Mom gets angry with me, I'll show her my hiking scar and she'll forget all about why she's angry with me.

Susanne said...

Too bad about the VSP....

I highly recommend a civilian career.

I've found that military people tend to brain wash each other into thinking that the military is the best, most secure, employment source.

The nice thing about the civilian work force is that you are actually upward mobile based on your skill set, not just how long you've been working someplace. Plus, you actually get paid time & 1/2 if you have to work over 40 hours!!

I would NEVER think about being in the military after working in the civilian workforce....but of course this is just me ;)

alexis said...

I wouldn't say the military has a monopoly on brainwashing - a lot of private employers also try to create that sort of attachment.

That sucks about VSP!! Any chance you can get transfered to Amsterdam??

stef said...

Oh boo! That blows. Having never been employed by the military, I can't compare it to the civilian work environment. But I know there is definitely less danger of being put in a war zone away from your family and in danger of death. Just sayin.

Laura said...

It sucks about the VSP, but I have to admit I was totally amazed that the AF thought it was a good idea to pay their best people a lot of money to go elsewhere. Who's brilliant idea was that anyway? I know a couple other people who were hoping to take advantage of VSP this year and I think they've decided to just go ahead and get out anyway. The thing about the military is that it's great IF you LOVE what you do. If you don't, you just end up giving too much of yourself for something you're not really into. Come to think of it, I don't know anyone in our year group who really wants to stay in long term.