Friday, March 03, 2006

Weddings, Pho, and Hai

I know I haven't blogged in forever, but 've been so busy what with getting ready for the big move (Tim leaves on Wednesday, wah!!!). I also just got back from the most whirlwind trip I've ever made. My girl Susanne got married last weekend and I was one of the bridesmaids, so I few all the way from Misawa (with Jocelyn, mind you) to Tacoma Washington for three days to be a part of the wedding (cause she's worth it!). The weird thing is that Jocelyn was a perfect angel for the entire trip (which was actually a total of 6 days - 3 for travel and 3 there) and became a perfect monster as soon as we got back! I think she's still getting used to having her schedule all f'ed up for so long (we are the complete opposite timewise of the States, so when it's day there it's night here and vice versa, so our bodies were very confused for the whole trip since we didn't have time to adjust to anything). The wedding, however, was absolutely gorgeous. (The photographer said pictures would be ready on his website in 6 to 8 weeks, so you're gong to have to wait for me to post pics because the only thing I did forget to bring was my camera!). They had a Catholic ceremony, which actually took me by surprise since Susanne was not raised Catholic and I hadn't realized that Greg's family was Catholic, which I was really surprised to find that I thoroughly enjoyed. It was only about a half hour and it was really touching. The parents also gave a blessing which was particularly moving (that and when Susanne came down the aisle with her dad trying not to cry were the only times I was in real danger of making the ugly cry). The reception was just perfect, too. The food was fantastic, the quartet was a reall lovely touch, and everyone had so much fun. Even though I had Jocelyn with me the whole time I really didn't feel like I missed out on anything. Even though it was very difficult to travel alone with an infant (I had Jocelyn in her Baby Bjorn on the front, my backpack on my back, her car seat in one hand, and my luggage in the other - not fun!!), I got to see my two best friends that I hadn't seen in two or three years and reconnect with them and to be a part of one of the most meaningful moment's in Susanne's life. Plus I got to eat Pho!! It was totally worth it :)

Oh, one little funny anecdote about how living in Japan is turning me into a total racist. When we went out to pho, after I gave the waitress my order, she repeated it back to me and I replied with a resounding "hai" (which is pretty much the only Japanese I really know). The waitress gave me the dirtiest look, as if she were saying, "I'm Vietnamese not Japanese, you little cracker bitch!" I was so mortified you'd think I would remember that I was in the US where no one speaks Japanese. Not so. Not then ten seconds later, I did it again! To the same lady! And then I did it again when I bought some shoes from a Korean lady! Laura and Susanne found the whole thing very amusing, but I am very trepiditious about going to LA now. I'm going to have to carry around a little disclaimer stating that I lived in Japan for a long time and I am fully aware that not all Asians are Japanese, please forgive the round eye :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

EVERYONE has been raving about what a perfect angel Jocelyn was!!!!

I'll have to send you some of the digital pictures that were taken....

alexis said...

maybe they will forgive you. I would guess most people wouldn't generally assume all asian-descended people are from Japan. Maybe China would be more likely?