Saturday, March 11, 2006

Mamamamama

Jocelyn said her first word! Well actually, it's not really a word so much as a long string of sounds generally followed by a resounding thbppt, which is her new favorite thing to do while I am trying to feed her. And, while it is extremely cute and I am very proud, I am also getting tired of the formula showers. I must caveat this by saying that not everyone agrees that this is Jocelyn's first word.

Me: Jocelyn said her first word!
Jocelyn: Mamamamama. Thbppppt!!
Tim: That's not a word.
Me: Is so.
Tim: That's just a bunch of sounds strung together. She doesn't know that mama means you.
Me: Does too.
Tim: Well, if mamamama means you, then I must be aiiiooouuuiieee. So she said my name first.
Jocelyn: Thbppppppt!!


Another exciting, albeit somewhat scary thing, happened to us today. We were standing in line at the BX and I was talking to one of the ladies know from Caitlyn's school, when Caitlyn said there was a bug on Jocelyn's stroller. I looked but there was nothing there, so I blew it off as being a fly or something that had flown away and continued my conversation. Suddenly Caitlyn tugged on my sleeve and pointed to Jocelyn's stroller. There was this HUGE ASS SPIDER crawling right next to her head. I about shit myself it was so damn big. Somehow you fly into "Mommy Mode" at crises like these, thank god, since I would never in my life touch a spider like that otherwise. I just reached in and squashed it with my bare hand and flung it to the floor. Afterward I freaked out a little and checked Jocelyn all over for spider bites, but she was fine. I just can't imagine where a spider that big came from or how it got into her stroller. Thank god Caitlyn was paying attention and noticed it. Ick! I still get the creeps thinking about it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always interesting to see who wins the competion - MaMa or DaDA! Glad to see the spider didn't get Jocelyn because of Caitlyn's vigilance! Isn't motherhood a great thing? Spiders don't even faze you now!

Anonymous said...

How exciting!!!!

Greg keeps saying how great it was to have Jocylin around. EVERYONE also keeps talking about what an angel she was!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok I just realized I spelled her name wrong.

JOCELYN!!! (sorry)

Laura said...

awww... I would definitely count that as a word :) Too cute! I'm very impressed by the spider story by the way... wanna come take care of some of the ones I've seen in my house?

alexis said...

thank goodness Caitlyn saw the spider! I have to say I'm not entirely convinced about the mamamamama being a word though.

Anonymous said...

Eek! I think i would have heart palpatations for weeks after something like that.
Of COURSE she is talking. Isn't she the smartest baby in the world? ;)
Yelena- i swear- knows the color blue. She said it yesterday and then went over and hit the blue button on her leapfrog toy. Then I asked her to show me blue later and she went and pressed it again!
(Just had to do me own bragging ya know...)

alexis said...

hey, you have to get your own blog for baby bragging! Just kidding, I am dying for auntie updates for all the kids.