Monday, July 08, 2013

I Am Four

Or six, depends on how you count it. Either way it looks like there's a new Pu heading into the world. I guess we figure with one on the way out of the house, we needed to bring one in.



Had my 1st ob appt last week and also discovered that Husband's super sperm did not fail us. Turns out I'm further along than I had originally thought.* Baby 4/6 is due at the end of Jan not in Feb as we had planned for. This opens up a whole new set of challenges for us to figure our way through as we navigate through the decisions that face expat moms and FS moms who give birth abroad: do we stay here or medevac (medically evacuate)? What does this mean for our other children? If I medevac, do I take the kids with me or leave them here? What do I do about genetic testing? It's par for the course in the US that moms over 35 get certain genetic tests since the likelihood of having a child with special needs is much higher as you age and your eggs get old and crusty.** But they don't do genetic testing here in the Phils, so I'll have to take a trip to Singapore if I decide that's something we want to pursue. Basically, there's a lot to think about.


*which, on a totally vain note, made me feel so much better since I have already outgrown my pants!
**Or at least that's how all the pregnancy literature makes it sound. It's like you hit 35 and all your eggs shrivel up. 

5 comments:

alexis said...

The big changer changes are at 40 if you have already had kids. If your employer is paying though, I'd always play it safe.

Oh yes and hurrah, congrats!!

Michael Podolny said...

I agree with Alexis. Some peace of mind is good.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Congratulations! Those genetic tests are da bomb! They let you know soooo much sooo early. I love science.

Lindsey said...

Congrats! Big decisions for sure and I don't envy your having to make them but I'm sure you'll make the right ones for you and the fam. Good luck!! P.S. I have heard a lot of women say that the medevac thing is awesome.

Daniela Swider said...

Congrats, Lisa!!! I just now realized. So excited for you guys!!!