Monday, June 03, 2013

Me + Food = Luv

So I have made no secret of the fact that I. love. food. Like love, love. Food and me, we're soul mates. I could not live without food.* Before I came to the Philippines and discovered the non-stop 12 hour days and endless traffic that impedes every possible trip one can take, I used to love to food shop. Discovering new produce, new spices, new ingredients period is enough to give me heart palpitations. Sadly, the atmosphere here is such that one cannot go food shopping (or any kind of shopping) without becoming homicidal. And homicide is not a good recreational activity for a diplomat...or so I'm told.

Anyway, I've learned I'm learning to be more creative with the sparse ingredients in my pantry since I am far more apt to let it go quite bare rather than face the grocery store or bare my wallet to the overpriced organic markets. The good thing is that, despite what my recent posts would have you believe, we actually don't eat out very often anymore. The stress of traffic and parking, the lack of service, and the general poor quality of most restaurants has convinced me that unless I get a personal recommendation from someone who's palate I trust, I am probably not going to risk eating out. The other good news is that Shinsen Yasai Organic Farms is back in business after a 6mos hiatus, and their produce is better than ever. Their home delivery prices are very reasonable, and they only ask for a chip in for fuels if you order less than a certain amount. I don't know if they have a website up yet, but I am more than happy to pass on contact information to anyone who wants it. They deliver to Makati and the Fort every Tuesday and to other parts of the city on other days.

Anyway, I'm currently in lurve with BASing** and am constantly on the lookout for salad ideas. Recently I've become obsessed with the idea of salad in a jar. Freaking genius! And my salads don't have to be of the most healthy variety. Mainly I want lots of veggies, some protein, and some crunch. Everything else is superfluous. So lay 'em on me, folks. What are your favorite salads?

*Well, neither can anyone else, but that's neither here nor there. I can't help it if food is a little bit of a slut. After all, don't we all like our mates a little on the trashy side?
**BIG ASS SALAD...ing 

3 comments:

alexis said...

we aren't doing many salads - they don't go over well with toddlers.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Dad and I always make salads on the weekends. They do take a long time to make as we put in a ton of different vegetables. Dad always makes the dressing so he can fill you in on those. They are always delicious! But our salads are not TMJ friendly.

Michael Podolny said...

As Mom said, our salads usually have two kinds of lettuce (iceberg and romaine) some bitter type herbs which can be either escarole or endive but when the garden is going it can be young kale, mustard greens or kohlrabi greens. Then comes the cucumber, red bell pepper, daikon, jicama, radishes, artichoke hearts, pickled corn, and hearts of palm plus tomato for me. We add a small amount of either ham or turkey and either some grated pecarino romano or parmigiano regiano cheese. I make a variety of vinaigrette dressings with themes such as creole, Asian, Hungarian,Spanish, and classic French.