Wednesday, October 17, 2012

How Not to Explain the Electoral College in a Foreign Language

So I know election season is upon us because holy crap do we have a lot of speaking engagements lined up to talk about the American electoral system! While not as cool as getting your own sign, I did have my first radio interview on Monday and explained how to register to vote in Tagalog...I think. I may have said something entirely different, but since we did the interview over the phone, I had no visual cues to see if I messed up. So I guess as far as I'm concerned, it went great! ;) I did the rest of the interview mostly in English since I am too much of a pussy to try and explain things like the electoral college in a foreign language yet. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

I'm quite interested in this year's elections because I think we're at a really pivotal moment in our history. I can't tell you how incredibly frustrating it is to see the level of unemployment and economic uncertainty in the US while simultaneously approving work-related visas (especially now that I have a clearer understanding of how the petition process works). My ballot's already cast* but I still wish I could see some of the debates in real time. Even more than the presidential candidates, I wish I could have seen these two live! Never thought I'd say this, but Bill O'Reilly was spot on with his comment, "The display that you saw tonight is why America is America. Robust, creative, no holds barred. You can call it whatever you want, but you wouldn't see this in a lot of other countries."
True dat, Bill. True. Dat....And that's why I fucking love America....And also this.

Totally Random Aside For My Assload of One Dutch Reader:

Stemming from the incredibly wrong, hilarious, and totally politically incorrect** Stuff White People Like, I recently came across another blog that, while not as laugh out loud funny, would still make people who live in der Nederlander chuckle.


*Having lived out of my state of residency for literally my entire adult life, I have never once voted in person, which means the debacle of 2000 really hit home! 

**And usually pretty accurate

2 comments:

alexis said...

LOL! We love that site actually. Though sadly it doesn't get updated too often I think that's the nature of these things. :)

I have my ballot to vote!! Just need to mail it in now.

DiploDad said...

Kizmit! I just gave a talk today on the Electoral College near the Sea of Galilee. It was all in English though. I am a bigger pussy.