Monday, May 14, 2012

Some Cheese for that Whine

Okay, reading back through my last post, I think I sound a little whiny. I should clarify that it was written on very little sleep and profound confusion ;) While there are definitely things that can be improved with the FS (as with any organization), I am absolutely, utterly, and completely blown away with the incredible character, professionalism, and generosity of my fellow FSers. Our neighbors throughout the building have been so kind and welcoming, they've even gone so far as to offer us the use of their homes (so we can have C stream her online school instruction), cars, and personal drivers. It is astounding that someone you've literally only met days before would just hand over the keys to their home or car. People remember what it was like to be new and without transportation or a connection to the outside world. I know we will pass this generosity forward. In the meantime, I hope my neighbors like chocolate chip cookies because there isn't much else I can make right now with our meager provisions and cookware!

I started on the line today all by my widdle old self. I only conducted my interviews in Tagalog even though it was rusty and most of the applicants answered me in English anyway! I am determined to fight against losing it as much as I can even if it means I adjudicate a bit slower. I've realized that my teachers at FSI, whom I completely adore, probably took it a bit easy on us because I find that the rapid-fire Filipino that people use here in Manila is way, way faster and more slangy than anything I'm used to. It will take some getting used to and it's hard to get people to slow down when they just switch over to English when they see that you haven't gotten their meaning the 1st time around. 

Ooooh, we also got word today that our UAB is here! I'm so excited to have my new/old clothes back!! I wish that I would have packed it a bit better, though, since I'm not entirely sure what Husband was able to cram into the shipment (basically we set aside what we really wanted to go and then he added things after the movers told him we had more room). We sent mostly clothes and toys for the kids, a few kitchen things, and a lot of bathroom stuff (towels, shampoo, etc.). I wish we had packed blankets because even though it is a million degrees here, it is like 2 degrees in our apartment (the Embassy is even worse!) no matter how much I adjust the temperature. I wear sweats to bed every night because you really can't leave the windows open here since there are no screens and the bugs would just infiltrate. I also would have packed scissors (actually, I will pack that in our suitcase next time) because holy crap is it hard to open things without a pair of scissors and it's not like I can just zip over to a corner store to buy some (plus, I'm cheap and there are at least 7 pairs in our various shipments). I have a note to someday do a post on what you should pack when PCSing overseas because there are other necessary items to keep in mind (like beds!! Government-provided furniture is like torture for your neck and back!). In the meantime, I'm going to publish this post while I have a bit of a connection!

8 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

It was so good to talk to you guys yesturday - even tho the connection was crap. Sounds like you are settling in just fine in spite of missing some necessities.

Michael Podolny said...

I forgot to comment on the last post that your looking for extracurricular things to volunteer for totally won me the pool among your immediate family for the time it would take before you would get your schedule to overwhelming again. I had less than a week.

alexis said...

I can completely relate to the language challenges. In the Netherlands they don't even start in Dutch often, they just assume foreigner speaks it and switch to English.

Glad to hear some of your stuff arrived, that seems pretty fast to me.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Oh, I remember those first few days when you move, and you don't have one or two vital necessities. But not being able to buy stuff makes it much worse.

Bernice said...

Glad to hear you are there and starting to get settled.

Bernice said...

Glad to hear you are there and starting to get settled.

Daniela Swider said...

I am so glad things are starting to look up after a not-so-organized start. I can't say our first couple of days were much better but we are getting used to things. The whole temporary housing thing is frustrating and so is not having your stuff but that too shall pass. Post some pictures when you have a chance and hope things get much, much easier and better for you guys!

Cassandra said...

I got the amazing advice to pack a box cutter in my luggage (checked, obviously). So, so helpful!