Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sick of Being Sick

Not that my last post was terribly cryptic, but that comment about the water has held double true for me. I can't seem to eat or drink much of anything without feeling terribly ill. I don't know if it's the water I'm using to wash dishes, rinse veggies/fruits, brush my teeth... or other items like the meat and poultry (the stuff at the supermarket is pretty sketchy), but I pretty much feel nauseous all of the time. And, no, I am most definitely not pregnant. Luckily, I seem to be the only one in the family thus affected by our new environment, so at least I don't have to deal with sick kids whilst feeling like crap. So there is that. You would think the one side benefit would be some weight loss, but I'm afraid that doesn't seem to be happening either thanks to the fact that all I do seem to be able to digest properly are pre-packaged crap foods that have been imported from other parts.

So in pursuit of healing my poor stomach, I have been researching the crap out of the burgeoning organic movement in the Philippines. There are some organic farmers who come to the Manila area to sell their goods at various farmers markets, as well as some that will even deliver to your door. There are also merchants for local, grass-fed beef and lamb, as well as, free-range poultry and organic eggs and dairy. So there are options out there. It's just a bummer because these products tend to come at more American prices, so saving money on food may not be something we get to do here :( But, I just can't take feeling like this anymore. I feel weak and tired all of the time because I'm not getting any good nutrition, so my workouts have really suffered, too* A girlfriend told me that this adjustment period happens to a lot of new arrivals, so maybe this is a phase that needs to be suffered through (Manila hazing).

*Still happily on the UY program, but I've already had to take off two days this week because I just felt so awful.

5 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Oh, that's a long time to feel so terrible.

Daniela Swider said...

Urgh, that sucks! Are you all eating the same things. How come you are the only one not feeling well. Are you eating something at work that's upsetting your stomach? So frustrating! Feel better!

alexis said...

Oh I do hope it's temporary and you are feeling better soon. Bad fuel in the body makes performance worse overall!

Michael Podolny said...

Could it be that you've actually caught some kind of illness as opposed to it being the local stuff?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good Lord, you'd have to rank in the bottom 3-4 people I know who have to lose weight! Crazy gurl.