Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Oh to be Twelve Again

Has anyone in the history of the world ever uttered those words? I think the middle school years are best forgotten for most of us, and my poor C is in the very midst of them. We are struggling with school issues, truth issues, friend issues, attitude issues, and she's one of the good ones!! I think the biggest problem is that her keen intelligence far outweighs her complete lack of common sense. Unfortunately I don't think those two trajectories even out until sometime in your late-twenties to early-thirties. As I understand it, these issues are all par for the course for this age, so I am completely baffled as to how the human race has managed to survive all these years.

In the very good new column, C tried out for and made the volleyball team. This is club volleyball (meaning I get to pay for the privilege, lol). There were many girls who tried out, so when the coach called and said C was one of the solid nine to make the team (there will be 12 girls total on the team) she was very proud. We are very proud of her! Last year was tough because it was her 1st year playing, and volleyball is huge (!!) in FL, so she was on a very competitive team playing with girls who had a lot more experience than her. That meant we ended up investing a lot of time (1 1/2 hours driving 3x/week to practice, plus all-weekend tournaments every other weekend) just to watch her ride the bench for most of the season. I think learning to play at that level has really benefited her, and now she is one of the more experienced and knowledgeable players, so she'll really have a chance to shine this season. The international schools in Manila also offer volleyball, so this is something she'll be able to continue throughout the upheaval of moving again.

4 comments:

alexis said...

I am glad she'll have a constant in her life with volleyball (hopefully other countries as well?) as you guys jet set all over the world. I still can't believe she is already 13! Looking forward to seeing her an all her glorious awkwardness at Xmas :)

Anonymous said...

So true. I would not want to revisit my middle school years. Maybe the teen years were less emotionally traumatic back in the days when we sent kids to work in mines and factories? But of course, then they were even less likely to survive.

Michael Podolny said...

Good for C. Having something that she compete and do well in is soooo good for the self-image.

And I don't know where she get's all these issue from. You were such an angel and we practically had to kick you out of the house to do any socializing.

Bernice said...

I remember your comment to me when C was born. You said you worried and I asked about what? You said that she would give you the "trouble" (don't know if you used that word) that you gave your parents. That was the gist of it anyway. Tell her congrats on making the team. Send a video clip of her playing.