Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hunkering Down

This is absolutely crazy. Irene has totally freaked out the East Coast. New York shut down its subway system for the 1st time in history in anticipation of the storm. She is just a bit south of us now and moving quickly, so I expect we'll be out of power for a couple of days based on what the news reports are saying. We've got our water, flashlights, extra food, everything is charged, etc. etc. I find it amusing that we went storm free in FL, and now that we've moved to VA we're about to get hammered, lol. Hopefully this is all for naught and all we'll get are some heavy rains. I guess we'll find out soon!

ETA: Just some strong winds and lots of rain for us. We didn't even lose cable satellite, much less power. A little anti-climatic after all the news coverage!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, find it ironic to be sitting here, with my fully stocked hurricane kit, while the rest of the East coast gets pounded. I hope its effects aren't too bad for DC.

Dad said...

I just talked to my Dad up in Connecticut (this is Sunday AM) and it hasn't been all that bad there either.

It is always a problem for crisis planners with events like hurricanes because you just really don't know what they are going to end up being like.

If it ends up not being too much and you did all the prep you look bad. But if you don't do enough prep and you end up with Katrina you look even worse.

Basically a no win situation.