Monday, January 24, 2011

I'm Back

Yeah, I know it’s been a while. Sorry ‘bout that. To recap the last few months: went to sister’s wedding in France; traveled in Italy w/Hubs & parents; hosted Thanksgiving w/parents, cousins, & aunt and uncle; had s-kids here for X-mas break; started the New year with 1 kid in club volleyball, 1 kid in dance, gymnastics, and piano, and 2 kids in ice skating. Whew! Oh, also new: I received a conditional offer of employment from the State Department as a Foreign Service Officer.

What? What’s that you say? You had no idea? Well, that was sort of the point. I started this process back in June of last year when I took the 1st of many, many steps by passing the written exam known as the FSOT. Actually, the State Dept website explains this whole process a lot better than I could, so here’s a link to their version. I didn’t want to say anything about my interest in becoming an FSO until I knew it could in fact become a reality instead of just a big, fancy fantasy in my mind. Now that I’ve passed the last step…more waiting! I now have to get medical clearances & have DoS recognize my DoD security clearances, then pass the final review before my name officially goes on the hiring list. Luckily with my decent OA score and all the bonus points I get for my language & being a veteran, I should be pretty high on the list once I make it there. What does this all boil down to? Probably no job offer for at least another 6mos or so.

Anyway, now that I have made it to this stage, I feel like I can start talking about everyday life stuff again. We’ve been in limbo for the last 9mos waiting to see if I’d even make it this far, so it is a big sigh of relief to get back to life as usual. I promise to start posting lots more inane, everyday stud and keep this blog updated. Can’t let the last 5 years go to waste! :)

4 comments:

Bernice said...

Let me be the first to welcome you back. Congratulations on the job prospect. It will be interesting to see where it leads.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds really interesting. Keep us informed, although I can see it will take a long time before you hear more.

Dad said...

We have missed your blogospheric presence very, very much.

alexis said...

hurrah! I can't wait for the updates and once again, congrats on making it this far!! Basically the whole fams is routing for this so we have someone to visit in exotic countries :D