Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympics Whore

I think I may have blogged about this back in '08, but I just love, love, love the freaking Olympics. If Hubs would let me, I would have them on all day long. I can't help it, I'm just a sucker for everything about them. I love the sob stories (happy and sad ones), the amazing athletic fetes, the chance for people to represent their countries, etc. I desperately want to pass on my obsession to my kids, but I just don't know that it's possible any more. When we were growing up there were only so many choices out there on tv. That meant that the Olympic hype was broadcast everywhere and there was little escape from it. Since I always fancied myself an athlete (I had dreams of being an Olympic swimmer - Janet Evans was my childhood hero!), I was so drawn in by the pinnacle of all athletic competitions. I always thought it was a mistake to split the summer/winter Olympics (they really should have stayed during the same year), but that doesn't make me any less excited about seeing them.

It's wierd, though. I grew up Olympics-obsessed, and I kind of thought that was the norm for people. I mean doesn't everyone remember where they were when Mary Lou Retton scored her perfect 10? When Greg Louganis hit his head on the diving board? Is it just me!!?? My hubs doesn't seem to remember actually watching any of these things, and also seems to think I'm a bit nutty over the whole thing. So maybe it is just me? Or maybe the Olympics have lost their luster in the face of so much other competition? Or maybe it's just here in the US? I just watched the Dutch win a gold medal in speed skating, is that big news over there or am I truly the only one left who cares? Either way, I'm still forcing my kids to watch :)

5 comments:

Susanne said...

OMG, I remember when the Olymipcs were held in Seoul, my mom had all of her friends over every night and it was a big cheering/sob fest.

Sadly, given my circumstances, I've only caught small bits and pieces of the coverage so far : (

Anonymous said...

Now I'm ashamed to admit that I've never watched any part of the olympics. This wasn't a conscious boycott, but it was never on at home and I never thought to watch it on my own.

But it's great that you enjoy them so completely.

alexis said...

aww, I think it's great you watch! FH could take it or leave it, but I enjoy them too :)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Well, it used to always be us against the Russians. Good guy versus the evil empire. Freedom versus oppression. If the Taliban or al qaeda fielded a team, it would definitely make it more watchable. Plus there are paid athletes now that don't inspire the same stories or fandom. They've definitely taken a step back since we were kids.

Dad said...

I'm with you Pu. I am a total sucker for all the emotions of the competitors and sadly enough remember all of those events you commented.

I wouldn't call you an Olympics whore however, because that would imply you're getting paid for it. Maybe more of an Olympic slut?