Monday, September 28, 2009

Musical Education

Lamest Football Weekend Eva!! (seriously, both my teams lost miserably and then I got my ass handed to me in fantasy -- where I have Drew Brees as my QB, so not only did we get trounced by NO, I also got no pts for Fantasy since he didn't throw for any TDs!)

In the awesome news pile, however, J came home on Friday and announced with much fan fare (and in a monotone yell-y voice):

In September for a while,
I will ride a crocodile,
Down that chick soup-y nile.
Paddle once, paddle twice
Paddle chicken soup with rice

I cannot express my joy! However, as much as I tried to implore J to sing other verses of the song, I soon learned that September was the only month she knew and the only one I could remember was February *le sigh* *

It was only after consulting with the Hubs that I realized not every child grows up with a musical-theater obsessed older sister, and therefore does not benefit from hearing the songs of Really Rosie over and over and over on cassette tape. I also realized that I had been neglecting my children's musical upbringing by playing them dumb shit like Mozart and Chopin. So I immediately went to Amazon and bought them a box set of Maurice Sendak stories as well as a DVD copy of Really Rosie (starring the Nutshell Kids, thank you very much!). Problem solved!


*I do, however, remember all the words to A Alligators All Around, which I think speaks volumes about my childhood!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I listened to a lot of kids music growing up (and sang a lot of it) but J's song is new to me.

Susanne said...

OMG...even thinking about Chicken Soup makes me a bit nauseated ; D I made the mistake of enthusiastically introducing this to the kids and now we must sing it multiple times nightly...or tears will ensue! Simply reading the book will no longer do!!

BTW, you can update my link over there!! (Not to tell you what to do with your blog)....but since the sudden and dramatic dethroning of Loki it makes me a little sad to see his name in the marque!! : d

stef said...

yay! You KNOW we have the books. No CD but the videos are easily youtubeable. LOVES IT.

PS. you football conversion is truly frightening. John wants to know if you are LT. Hot Pants?

Dad said...

Wait - LT??? - Hot Pants ????

Dad said...

Wait - LT??? - Hot Pants ????

alexis said...

ditto on stef's second comment - fantast league!!?

and that was a serious flashback moment to read the words to that song. Immediately saw the house on woodenhawk!