Monday, September 21, 2009

Cuttin Out the Tasty

So, based on some good advice from my mom (I should really just consult her before I run off willy, nilly like I always do), we had A tested for food sensitivities and vitamin deficiencies and the like. Lo and behold he is most definitely sensitive to gluten, but casein - no problem. So, yay we get to keep butter (THANK GOD!) and various dairyliciousness; however, I am going to have to figure out how to cut out every bit of gluten-based product in our house. Or, as my Hubs said, everything that is yummy tasting. Sorry, Hubs. The thing with gluten is that apparently it is very easy to get cross contamination, so you really do have to make the house basically gluten-free. That means I have to get rid of every bit of flour (and scrub and possibly repaint the cupboard where it was stored) and anything that might have been touched by a utensil or finger that previously touched a gluten-filled product (breadcrumbs in the peanut butter, flour in the sugar jar, and ohmygod I may have to burn down the kitchen and start from scratch). This going gulten-free thing is not going to be easy, but if it will help A then how can I not do it? The really hard thing is going to be bread. According to the internets (and the gluten-free goddess, who also has a fantastic guide on how to go gluten-free without completely losing your mind...or at least without losing all of it), gluten is that wonderous thing that gives bread and baked goods just the right texture. Not being a fabulous baker to begin with, I quiver in fear at the thought of having to make a just right, gluten-free bread to appease the whole family. This is a true test of my will, people! Pray to the baking gods for me...hopefully they are kinder than the magical pony gods of travel and will take some pity on a poor, overworked mom!

In some good news, A is now saying "no" and "go" with great gusto (okay, so they come out sounding more like new and goo, but still, I know what he means!). He also says "up" and "guck" (he measns stuck...anything he can't open/close/get to is stuck in his mind). So we are making some serious progress here! C is excelling in school. She is getting A's in all her classes except religion (where she got a big fat F, hah! That's what you get for having a Jewish mom!). She also started back up with band, where I was able to dazzle her with my absolute lack of any musical knowledge when she asked for my help in perfecting her E Flat (I gave her may best "WTF is that?" face, which promptly encouraged her to go ask her dad instead). J is also enjoying school. They do color-themed weeks which culminate in color appropriate dress-up Fridays. This ensures that all week long J is excited about it being, for example, purple week and equally exciting Friday mornings where she decides that she wants to wear anything other than the purple outfit we already picked out and will have a terrible temper tantrum if we try to make her wear it (also we learned that she doesn't own any yellow clothing, how odd.).

Also, this is how I imagine J as a girl scout:

Appropriate, eh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's terrific news that A can say no and go! Those are pretty useful words.

Susanne said...

Hee hee.

I have a two girl friends who are gluten free. You should Google FL area restaurants for gluten free menus : D

Maybe we're just big hippies here, but quite a few really good restaurants offer gluten free meals : D !!!!

And seriously Nikki, how on earth do you manage to get all of these things done while holding down a full time job?? It baffles me : D!!!!

If I only had HALF of your energy!!!

Stef said...

Luckily there are so many more resources and products out there on the gluten free tip then there used to be- but I don't envy you at all! I am such a carboholic. I bet you will all lose 20 lbs though.

Dad said...

And why no comment when the Bills win?

I have one answer for gluten free baking - corn tortillas.

I think that A engineered her F in religion based on my discussions with her when last there.

And I totally, TOTALLY agree with your vision of J the Girl Scout.

alexis said...

that is terrific that he is improving already - AWESOME!!! And yes, we should all basicalyl just consult mom before we do anything. LOL

Laura said...

Yay!!! So glad to hear that A is making progress :) Good luck with the gluten-free diet... I've been noticing a lot more places offering gluten free options lately so hopefully it won't be too difficult for you!