Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Pu on Politics

I know what ya'll are thinking "Ooooooh, Pu's doing a political post. This should be rich!" Well, I can't guarantee that, but you should read this anyone because I am very curious as to what you all think. There's been a lot of talk about Sarah Palin and her children, and, as a working mom with an unusual job, I am very interested in what people are saying about her. Specifically, I find it fascinating to think that the fact that she has a pregnant teen daughter somehow makes her a bad candidate* As a former teen hellion, I would hate to think that my troubled childhood reflected poorly on my wonderful parents who did their very best to keep me under control, and I happened to turn out pretty durn well in the end (if I do say so myself ;) Even worse, all the talk on the radio this morning was about how she has a 4 month old daughter at home and how could she possibly campaign and then have a 24/7 type of job and still raise her infant? Oh yes, god forbid a woman with a baby try to take on a powerful job that is quite time consuming. I guess it's fine for all those women who serve on active duty and might be separated from their children for months/years at a time. Their children are probably totally fucked up because someone else is raising them** What shocks me the most is that these are Democrats making these horrible 50's-era arguments that she is somehow a bad mother because, again, god forbid she choose to follow her career aspirations. Believe it or not, moms do have a life outside the home (though it might not seem like it sometimes). Whatever path you choose (working mom or SAHM), I find it truly appalling that women just don't know how to support each other. Because, I have to tell you, all of the people calling in to complain about how Sarah Palin shouldn't be running for office and/or is a bad mother, were women! How sad is that? I guess all this time I've just been fucking up my kids and being a poor parent since I choose to work in a field where I am on call 24/7. Here I always thought that I was setting a good example for my kids about how they should follow ther dreams and find that one thing in life that they are passionate about, but apparently I am stuck in the 70's.

Also, I have to comment on how sad it is that poor Sarah Palin's daughter *** is being dragged through the mud on TMZ and Perez Hilton when, ya know, there's still real topics up for debate like, say, the economy that is going in the toilet or the fact that there's still a war going on! Oh, and the Soviet Union, excuse me, Russia has invaded Georgia**** and the Iranians are developing nuclear weapons. Ya know, shit like that. But, I guess, a pregnant teen is way more important a topic for us to be discussing rather than the state of world affairs and what the U.S.'s role should be. That shit is just way to hard to think about, and pregnant teens are so much more interesting. Seriously, ya'll, double-u tee eff!!!!??? Am I the only person who finds this entire scandal to be, well, not that scandalous? And should Democratic women be out in force to support Sarah Palin (even if she is a gun-toting member of the NRA) and her workin' mama ways? Should the American public care about foreign affairs or has the question of the economy consumed all other points of debate even though the price of oil is tied to the situation in the Middle East, the situation in Russia/Georgia, and Russian support to Venezuela. Oh, you didn't know that Russia and Iran supply Venezuela with weapons and economic support? Congratulations, you've just joined 99% of the American public in your understanding of foreign affairs. Whew, sorry about that. I guess I got off on a rant there ;)

Personally, I guess because I'm confronted day-in and day-out with the realities of foreign doings, I have become much more of a realist when it comes to international relations. No matter how many times you invite the North Koreans to tea and crumpets, they're still going to talk behind your back and spread rumors that you're a whore, so why give them the satisfaction. You can talk to Iran 'til you're blue in the face and they're still not going to be able to separate us from Israel. They think Israel is our Hizballah for god's sake! The liklihood that they're going to have serious nuclear talks with us is a joke. They're going to act just like the North Koreans, i.e. we'll tell you what you want to hear and then go do what the hell we want anyway because, and I know this is hard to believe, they're going to do whatever is in their best interest...not ours! And, though I choke to say this as a confirmed liberated woman, but my experiences over the last 13 years in my field is that all states act in a manner that is most beneficial to them. So maybe we should stop acting all holier than thou and just admit that we don't ever do anything that isn't in our best interest either. Everybody hates a hypocrite.

Anyway, that's enough politics for now. Maybe I've just become to cynical, or maybe I'm just PMSing. Discuss! ;)



* Please note that Pu's Corner does not endorse political candidates of either party

**Please, please, please note the sarcasm here

***yes, I know, she put her family in the limelight by running for office, but that poor girl did not ask for all this attention, especially when Jamie Lynn Spears is practically being deified for chosing to keep her baby

****To which the EU's response was to say, "Hey, Russia, please don't do that...oh, and don't stop exporting oil to us either. 'Cause, ya know, we need that shit." Way to go EU! No wonder no one gives a shit about Europe...sorry AinA ;)

7 comments:

alexis said...

I have to say - I am wholly delighted to be thousands of miles away from the US during the frenzy that is the 2008 election. Sadly no one can get enough of that shit here either. I may stop listening to the news until November.

Oh, and I will have you know we didn't just give Russia a sturn talkin' to, the EU also SHOOK our fingers quite vigerously and stomped a foot in protest. That'll show'em! ;)

stef said...

I have to say I haven't heard a lot of this contraversy about Palin. My guess would be that liberals would be delighted trying to point out that a conservative values candidate has a child that is an underage mother. You point out an argument that is rife on the mommy blogosphere. women not supporting each other. if you get a chance- read the article about gender roles in 3 year olds that i posted yesterday. It posits some interesting theories about how children view the role of women.

Laura said...

Well, I already posted about Palin too so I guess you know how I feel about her :) Personally, I have no problem with her having a baby or a pregnant teenage daughter, I just think it's a bit hypocritical to choose to put her family in the limelight and then complain when they start getting negative attention. It actually bothers me that all the candidates do this. It bugs me that the Obamas put their daughters on the stage at the DNC as well. (And yes, I agree that the press sucks and should not be pursuing these issues, but we all know that this is what the press does so how can the politicians act surprised when it happens?)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It seems to me that the Dems are latching onto the teen pregnancy thing for all of those reasons mentioned AND that it appears that the McCain camp was not aware of it. If they miss something like that, would they pull another WMD in Iraq intel miscue and get us into another war??

They might have been able to find out about the daughter had they met with Palin for more than two hours before nominating her.

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a rats-ass about the daughter, the future baby, the current baby or he family in general. If she wants to be VP, great. Let the husband stay at home or hire a nanny....just make sure to pay the appropriate taxes on her....

Susanne said...

Thanks Nikki!!! :) I finally feel like someone has pulled their head out of their asses and give this woman some credit!! (some one other than McCain, that is).

As soon as she was chosen I knew she'd be ripped a part. People (especially other women) just LOVE LOVE LOVE to rip successful women to shreds! I guess it somehow makes them feel better about them selves.

I think I'm as left winged as it gets, but I really love the fact that she's running and I LOVE the fact that she's doing it as a mom...especially a mom of a young child.

One thing I quickly learned as a mother was that if things go right, well then you have a gifted child, if things go wrong...well, lets just start the laundry list of reasons you're a bad mom.

As I've gotten older, I fully believe that it's women who haven't allowed other women to break that glass ceiling, not men.

Bernice said...

Pu, great topic. There is a lot to be said about this. One thought I have is that as we have a long way to go in thinking we know what is right for another person. We do this as individuals, as political parties, as a nation, and many other groups (religions,etc).

Pulisha said...

AinA - Yes, I noted the virgerous finger shaking. You Eu'ers...so over the top! ;)

Stef - I did read the article...okay, I'm like halfway through, but, in my defense, it is freakin' long! What I've read, though, is very interesting. J has definately hit the gender identification stage. She said A was not like her because he was a boy. So I asked her how she knew he was a boy and she was a girl, and she told me, "A is not a girl because he is stinky and boys are stinky." Hee!

Laura - Hee, I guess Palin is the topic du jour. We can talk all about it when I get up there on Friday! Can't wait to see you!

LVC - In Intel's defense, people have no idea just how freaking hard our job is. You take little bits of information and put it together like a puzzle. Sometimes you're right and sometimes you're wrong and, a lot of times, people come to diametrically opposite conclusions from the same evidence. What I really hate, though, is the lying whore press who create and keep these stories going. Um, sorry for the soapboxing :)

Susanne - I couldn't agree more! I have never understood what it is about female culture that makes us so unsupportive of each other. Maybe it's the same in male culture but you don't see it as much since there are so few SAHDs? I really feel strongly, though, that powerful women have a moral obligation to reach down and help other women following in their footsteps, and you almost never see that happen!

Aunt B - So true! No matter what walk of life you come from, we are all guilty of judging others' choices based on our own ideas of what is right and wrong.